For those who’re in search of a scrumptious vegetarian entree, do that recipe for stuffed portobello mushrooms! Topped with veggies, marinara sauce, melty mozzarella, and toasted seasoned breadcrumbs, these wholesome stuffed mushrooms are a crowd pleaser. Plus, you possibly can assemble them forward of time!
Filled with spinach, onions, and even the stems from the portobello mushrooms (no waste!), you possibly can rely on a lot of nutritious greens with this recipe.
I like how the mozzarella cheese melts into each chew. The breadcrumbs get golden brown and completely toasted on high. These stuffed mushrooms style a bit like pizza, so it’s an effective way to fulfill that craving in a more healthy means.
And if you would like a little bit extra substance and protein, you too can add Italian sausage or pepperoni.
The best way to put together the portobello mushroom caps
First, you’ll must roast the portobello mushroom caps earlier than including the filling. In any other case, they received’t prepare dinner sufficient and shall be much less flavorful and gentle. Right here’s what to do.
- Clear the mushrooms by rinsing below water and shaking as a lot water off as attainable, or just wiping them clear with a moist towel.
- Take away the stems utilizing a small paring knife and slicing as near the bottom as attainable. Set the stems aside- you’ll use them in a bit!
- Brush the mushrooms on the highest and backside with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the mushrooms in a 425 diploma oven for about 20 minutes, stem-side up.
- Take away any pooled liquid from the within of the mushroom caps. You may flip them over to empty it out, however I believe it’s best to make use of a paper towel, held by tongs so that you don’t burn your self, to soak up as a lot of it as attainable.
The best way to make the filling
- Sauté some diced onions and the chopped portobello mushroom stems in a little bit olive oil.
- As soon as they’re softened, add some contemporary child spinach to the skillet. Let it wilt (this can solely take a minute or so!).
- Add some chopped garlic and sauté till aromatic, for less than about 30 seconds to a minute (overcooked garlic may be bitter tasting).
- Lastly, stir in some marinara sauce (and even selfmade pizza sauce) and also you’re good to go!
Read more: Healthy vegetarian fast food recipes
I prefer to make the filling whereas the mushrooms are roasting, to save lots of time.
The best way to make stuffed portobello mushrooms
- Combine some breadcrumbs with a little bit olive oil and a few dried oregano. The olive oil is important right here for getting completely golden, toasted breadcrumbs that aren’t burned or too dry. You may as well use Italian Model Seasoned Breadcrumbs and omit the dried oregano.
- Divide the filling evenly on every portobello mushroom cap.
- Prime with cheese, and sprinkle on the breadcrumbs.
Suggestions and tips
- If the stems on the portobello mushrooms are significantly lengthy, it’s possible you’ll must discard the tip of it, as it may be too robust. It can save you these to make vegetable inventory, if you would like.
- I like to recommend utilizing a rimmed baking sheet, lined with foil, with a wire baking rack nestled within it to make stuffed mushrooms. There shall be liquid that’s launched whereas it bakes, and the rack helps elevate the mushrooms so that they don’t get soggy. The foil makes for very simple clear up.
Do I must take away the gills from the mushroom?
Nope! The gills are completely edible.
The one cause why you’d need to take away the gills is if you’re cooking one thing that must be gentle coloured. The gills impart a really darkish colour into no matter you’re cooking, which may be off-putting in sure dishes (like for those who’re making a mushroom bolognese, for instance, and wish the crimson sauce to remain crimson).
For stuffed mushrooms, this doesn’t matter, as your eyes shall be drawn to the golden brown breadcrumbs and vibrant crimson marinara sauce.
Can I make these forward of time?
Yup! Simply assemble them as directed, topping them with mozzarella and breadcrumbs. Then, cowl and retailer in your fridge for as much as three days till you’re able to bake them.
Can I add meat to those?
Read more: Low fodmap vegetarian slow cooker recipes
Completely! This can be a nice approach to make them increased in protein.
I like to recommend utilizing floor Italian sausage (sizzling, delicate, or candy will work). Brown it within the skillet with the onions and mushroom stems, then proceed as directed.
You might additionally layer some pepperoni on there too, in between the cheese and breadcrumbs layer. Or, you can also make these low carb by omitting the breadcrumbs and utilizing pepperoni as an alternative.
Different simple mushroom recipes:
- Completely browned sautéed mushrooms
- One pot orzo with mushrooms and brown butter
- Italian Vegetarian Stuffed Mushrooms
- Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
- Beef Barley Soup with Mushrooms
Make sure you try all my vegetarian recipes!
Did you make this stuffed portobello mushrooms recipe? Please click on the celebrities beneath to remark and Price this Recipe!
Read more: Instant pot vegetarian stew recipes