Right here’s your likelihood to have a good time America’s birthday like Ree Drummond! As The Pioneer Girl’s 4 youngsters have grown, so too has her annual Fourth of July potluck, since she and her husband of twenty-two years, Ladd Drummond, launched it 19 years in the past. “We started having it when my oldest [Alex] was two, and it has grown every year,” she tells Us Weekly.
Now Ree, 50, estimates, the as soon as intimate celebration has ballooned to about 250 individuals: “We moved it to town last year and it was more like 500,” she provides with fun. “We’ve created a monster!”
Reading: Ree drummond pepperoni potato salad
Earlier than the yearly occasion, there’s work to be finished on the ranch the household calls residence, eight miles west of Pawhuska, Oklahoma. Count on “lots of mowing, weeding, and then we start preparing a horse trailer full of fireworks.” Whereas Ladd, 50, and her children Alex, Paige, Bryce and Todd get the fireworks prepared, the Meals Community star, who not too long ago launched a brand new line of BBQ sauces, will be discovered “in the kitchen making all the sides for our big potluck.”
The creator of The Pioneer Girl Cooks collection “thinks about bulk, and what can I make in big foil pans.” She’ll serve a basic, like baked beans, but in addition favors a caprese salad, “because we always wind up with heavy sides and I like having the freshness and the basil flavor.”
Read more: Black eyed pea salad trisha yearwood
Talking of sides, Ree additionally recommends “a really good potato salad, because potato salad can be pretty boring and run of the mill, so I think it has to be very delicious.”
Whereas the TV character has the edges coated, Ladd’s grilling experience imply he’s the one who tackles the hamburgers and steaks. The Oklahoma native reveals her husband “takes a big fireproof sauce pan, puts it on the grill, fills it with about ten sticks of butter and just brushes butter on the steaks and burgers,” which have been flavored with lemon pepper and seasoned salt.
Ree guarantees there’s all the time sufficient meals for all of her friends, however a part of why the culinary knowledgeable has Ladd cook dinner the meat is as a result of, “at the very least everyone will get a steak or burger. One year, we did wind up with about seven pans of ribs, one salad and about 19 desserts.”
Regardless of the danger of getting a potluck that’s heavy on cobblers and light-weight on salads, Ree doesn’t really feel compelled to curate who’s bringing what. As an alternative, she swears “the secret to a successful summer potluck is not to orchestrate.”
In search of one thing tasty to convey to a potluck of your individual? Take a look at Ree’s not boring, not run-of-the-mill, model new pepperoni potato salad recipe under!
Read more: Ina garten lobster cobb salad
Pepperoni Potato Salad
Makes 10-12 servings
• 4 lbs child Yukon gold potatoes • 2 tbsps kosher salt • 1 cup actual mayonnaise • 3/4 cup marinara sauce • 1/4 cup floor Parmesan cheese • 8 entire inexperienced onions, inexperienced and white elements • 7 oz pepperoni, quartered • 2 cups pitted inexperienced olives, halved • 24 oz mozzarella pearls, drained and divided • 1/2 cup parsley, chopped and divided • 1/2 cup basil, chiffonade • 1/2 tsp contemporary floor black pepper
Read more: Nordstrom shrimp arugula salad recipe
- Put the potatoes in a pot with chilly water and add two tablespoons of salt. Cowl, convey to a boil and cook dinner till fork-tender, 10-Quarter-hour. Drain, reduce the potatoes in half and switch to a bowl.
- For the dressing, combine collectively the mayonnaise, marinara sauce and Parmesan cheese.
- Pour the dressing over the potatoes, add the inexperienced onions and stir.
- Fold within the pepperoni, olives, mozzarella pearls, 3/4 of the chopped parsley, the basil and the pepper. Garnish with the remaining parsley and serve.