Here are the best long life salad diners drive-ins and dives topics edited and compiled by us
“Where is your restaurant?” For the umpteenth time I was asked that question at a recent fundraiser for The Food Initiative, a local community service organization that feeds the mind, spirit and souls of high-school-aged kids, and the community with organic, hand-raised food.
I’ve had the pleasure of working with the group since their inception in one way or another as an advocate and culinary volunteer, and this year’s fundraiser, “A Fine Fettle, Farm-to-Fork Tasting,” was the best yet.
The volunteer chefs were gifted with meat from Giving Thanks Farms, with the end-of-season, freshly harvested bounty from the garden and fresh eggs from the chicken coop. Most bountiful this time of year is the kale, when it is at its best, and in honor of the hands that toiled and my serious addiction to the superfood, I created my version of a restaurant favorite, “Long Life Salad,” and a low-carb pulled pork wrap with Thai flavors and the crunch of fresh vegetables.
Squash, tomatoes, zucchini, garlic and eggs went into a savory bread pudding, and the contributions from all were Hoovered up in record time. All in all, it was a fine fettle indeed, and all for a great cause.
If you are a vegetarian, you will love Long Life Salad. If you are not, you will love it as well. The secret to making fresh, raw kale palatable is to give it a gentle massage and leave it to rest for several hours. The greens begin to break down, absorb the dressing and become deliciously tender to the tooth.
As promised, I’ve provided the recipes for my dishes. No, I don’t have a restaurant. I have home-created recipes, the love of feeding folks, and the desire to bring everyone – friends and family, the hungry and the needful – to a shared table.
Diane Welker is a lifelong adventurer in the world of food, a caterer and hosts a food and cooking website at www.atthetable.com.
LONG LIFE SALAD
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup honey
2-3 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon all-purpose seasoning
2 cloves minced garlic, mashed to a paste with salt
FOR THE SALAD:
1 bunch kale, rinsed and stripped from the stems
1 can garbanzo drained and rinsed
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup chopped dried mango
1 cup shelled sunflower seeds
1 avocado, diced
The night before: Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a blender or shaker jar until smooth. Load the kale into a large zip-top bag, pour in the dressing and then gently massage the dressing into the greens. Refrigerate 4-5 hours, up to overnight.
Before serving, place the dressed kale into a large serving bowl. Add the remaining salad ingredients and toss.
THAI PULLED PORK WRAPS
1 medium pork shoulder, about 5-6 pounds
1 red pepper, coarsely chopped, seeds and stems removed
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 can full-fat coconut milk
2 heaping Tablespoons Thai green curry paste
Juice and zest of 1 lime
1 Tablespoon fish sauce
2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
Napa Cabbage leaves
Asian Broccoli Slaw (recipe follows)
Chopped dry-roasted peanuts
To prepare pork, trim fat cap and any excess fat from shoulder. Salt and pepper generously. In a large skillet over high heat, sear all sides, about 4 minutes per side. Once seared, transfer to a slow cooker set to low heat and top with onion and peppers. Cook for 8 hours, or until pork is tender and flakes apart.
Once pork is cooked, remove from slow cooker and set aside to cool. Transfer cooking liquid to a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk to combine coconut milk, curry paste, juice/zest from lime, fish sauce, ginger and garlic. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. While simmering, shred pork with two forks and return to slow cooker. Pour sauce over pork and keep warm until ready.
To serve, place a portion of pork into the center of a cabbage leaf. Top with a heap of slaw, then drizzle with mayo and sprinkle with peanuts. (You can make the mayo yourself, as I do with a half-cup of good-quality light mayonnaise mixed with a tablespoon or two of Sriracha chili sauce)
Makes about 10 servings.
ASIAN BROCCOLI SLAW
1 1/2 cups shredded broccoli stems
1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1 Tablespoons sesame oil
1 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves only
Toss all ingredients to combine in a large bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Top 12 long life salad diners drive-ins and dives edited by Takeout Food
Long Life Salad | Once in a Blue Moon 17 – WordPress.com
- Author: onceinabluemoon17.wordpress.com
- Published: 07/01/2022
- Review: 4.82 (744 vote)
- Summary: · A couple days ago, I was watching my favorite Diner’s, Drive-Ins, and Dives when Guy Fieri happened upon a joint known as Phat Bites in
Phat Bites | Restaurants – Food Network
- Author: foodnetwork.com
- Published: 09/10/2022
- Review: 4.77 (440 vote)
- Summary: Guy loves Phat Bites’ Long Life Salad served on a bed of kale with black-eyed peas, Christmas lima beans, black beans, split lentils, red quinoa, pecans,
Phat Bites – Nashville, TN
- Author: gatorgirl-outoftheswamp.com
- Published: 07/05/2022
- Review: 4.41 (329 vote)
- Summary: · For a salad I started with the Long Life salad because that is what I watched them make on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. It is a kale salad
Kale and Bean Salad – Don’t Sweat The Recipe
- Author: dontsweattherecipe.com
- Published: 07/24/2022
- Review: 4.24 (417 vote)
- Summary: Jan 19, 2018 This is my version of the Long Life salad seen on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. It’s loaded with kale, black beans, lima beans, lentils,
842. Long Life Salad – Maryam’s Culinary Wonders
- Author: maryamsculinarywonders.blogspot.com
- Published: 12/22/2021
- Review: 4.12 (525 vote)
- Summary: · Cook the cup of quinoa in two cups water, bring to the boil, cover the pot, reduce the heat to low and let simmer 25 minutes. Fluff and cool
All the best recipes at
- Author: crecipe.com
- Published: 10/03/2022
- Review: 3.8 (545 vote)
- Summary: Crecipe.com deliver fine selection of quality Diners drive-ins and dives long life salad recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips. Get one of our
Kale and Quinoa Salad with Black Beans
- Author: blog.fatfreevegan.com
- Published: 02/16/2022
- Review: 3.73 (554 vote)
- Summary: Jun 25, 2013 Kale and Quinoa Salad with Black Beans: Vibrant green kale is … Sign up for our newsletter to receive new recipes & tips by email!
Phat Bites – Nashville, TN – Diners Drive-Ins and Dives
- Author: dinersdriveinsdives.com
- Published: 04/20/2022
- Review: 3.58 (239 vote)
- Summary: Long Life Salad – chopped kale, black-eyed peas, Christmas Lima beans, black beans, split lentils, red quinoa, pecans, dried cranberries, mango, golden raisins,
Phat Bites – Bite Squad
- Author: bitesquad.com
- Published: 08/27/2022
- Review: 3.06 (302 vote)
- Summary: Hummus served with pita chips and topped with pico, olive salad, pesto, … As seen on diners drive ins and dives, famous Long Life salad
Phat Bites Restaurant on Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives
- Author: dinersdriveinsdiveslocations.com
- Published: 10/20/2022
- Review: 2.87 (121 vote)
- Summary: Be sure to try The Big Jerk from jerk pork and caramelize onions, Ninja Bomb with granola, or the Long Life Salad loaded with cranberries, dried mangos,
Long Life Salad – Keyingredient
- Author: keyingredient.com
- Published: 01/06/2022
- Review: 2.82 (122 vote)
- Summary: Ingredients · Black Beans · Lentils · lima beans · kale · pecans · raisins · plums · mango
- Author: phatbites.com
- Published: 12/04/2021
- Review: 2.74 (84 vote)
- Summary: Phat Sandwiches, Wraps, Salads, Bongo Java Coffee, Espresso, Bar, Live Music, Open Mic, Karaoke and more! Come see why we were featured on Diners, Drive-Ins