Home made Strawberry Sauce is likely one of the finest perks of spring and summer time…and it takes simply 10 minutes to make (be sure you freeze some for the remainder of the 12 months.) This candy tart strawberry topping recipe can be utilized on ice cream, shortcake, cheesecake, yogurt, even oatmeal!
Reading: How to thicken strawberry sauce
If you happen to’ve ever had a traditional strawberry cheesecake the fun of recent strawberry sauce. It’s a genius method to make use of early season, or less-than-perfect, berries. A bit of little bit of cooking brings out a lot taste, even from mediocre fruit. And this sauce is so versatile, too, you can also make it with frozen berries, or for a wholesome strawberry sauce, you’ll be able to even miss the sugar.
How is strawberry sauce totally different from a purée, a coulis, or a compote?
- Strawberry sauce is chopped or sliced berries which might be briefly cooked with sugar and generally a thickener. It retains the feel of the fruit.
- Fruit purée is uncooked or cooked fruit that has been processed till clean.
- Coulis is a purée that has been strained.
- A fruit compote is normally sluggish cooked, generally in sugar syrup, and is commonly a bit of thicker than sauce.
What you’ll want for the proper strawberry sauce
- recent or frozen strawberries ~ both will work.
- lemon juice ~ helps to stability the sweetness of the berries, and brings out their taste.
- sugar ~ simply sufficient to deliver out the pure taste of the berries. (See under for making a sugar free sauce.)
- cornstarch ~ only a teaspoon is all it takes to offer the sauce a bit of physique and a shiny shine. Omit for a thinner sauce.
How to make a thick strawberry sauce
There are a number of methods to make a berry sauce thicker
- One is to cook dinner the sauce down till the liquid evaporates and the sauce thickens naturally.
- I prefer to use an immersion blender to mix a few of the berries halfway throughout cooking, which may even thicken the sauce.
- One other method is to so as to add a thickener to the berries whereas they’re cooking. You possibly can dissolve a bit of cornstarch in a small quantity of water and add it to the berries. The cornstarch will do its thickening job the minute the sauce involves a boil.
- To thicken strawberry sauce with out cornstarch, use arrowroot powder, which is gluten-free, grain-free and paleo-friendly. Use about half the quantity of cornstarch referred to as for in a recipe, and at all times add it on the finish of the cooking course of: heating will break arrowroot down and render it much less efficient.
Read more: What can you substitute for oyster sauce
How to make a no cook dinner strawberry sauce
- Chop your berries into small items and add to a bowl with sugar and lemon juice (the quantities will depend upon the sweetness of your berries.) Stir to mix.
- Mash a few of the berries with the again of a fork, or a potato masher when you have one. This can make an excellent recent, juicy sauce.
- In order for you a thicker no cook dinner sauce, add some Prompt Clearjel (a supercharged fruit thickener) to the sugar earlier than including, it is going to immediately thicken your sauce. Begin with a half teaspoon per pint of berries and add extra as wanted.
How to make a sugar free strawberry sauce
- If you happen to’ve obtained candy strawberries you’ll be able to dispense with the sugar altogether, the fruit will probably be candy sufficient by itself.
- You too can sweeten with honey or maple syrup, to style.
- You need to use the choice sweetener of your selection.
How to make sauce from frozen berries
- If you wish to begin with frozen berries, plan to puree the sauce, or use an immersion blender to interrupt them down after they’ve cooked.
To freeze your fruit sauce
Take full benefit of strawberry season and freeze a giant batch of strawberry sauce for the remainder of the 12 months.
- Let your sauce cool utterly, then freeze in freezer secure containers, or heavy responsibility zip lock baggies.
- Freeze in separate containers so you’ll be able to defrost as wanted.
How to prep berries for sauce
- Rinse properly, no must dry.
- Hull or slice off the leafy tops. Hulling is the place you dig out the little little bit of white core from the highest of the berry. Theoretically it may be powerful, however in actuality, I don’t trouble, simply slice off the inexperienced bits and get on with it 🙂
- Slice, or chop the strawberries. You need the items to be comparatively the identical measurement.
- For a chunky sauce, halve or quarter the berries. You too can slice them.
It doesn’t take lengthy to prep the berries, and from there it’s a hop skip and a bounce to recent strawberry sauce. You gained’t imagine how straightforward it’s, and this will likely begin you off on a berry sauce jag that lasts the entire season. This similar course of can be utilized with blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and so on. Wild berries make an unbelievable sauce. In fact use frozen berries all 12 months lengthy.
Read more: Best green sauce for enchiladas
Issues to do together with your recent fruit sauce!
- Spoon it over ice cream (vanilla bean, in fact.) I like to warmth my sauce to make a scorching strawberry sundae ~ yum!!
- Sauce pound cake, or cheesecake.
- Use it as a filling for a layer cake, like my Victoria Sponge Cake.
- Use it in a jam shortbread tart.
- Make a ripple ice cream.
- Create your individual fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt cups.
- Swirl it into your morning oatmeal.
WANT TO TRY THIS FABULOUS STRAWBERRY SAUCE?
PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE DESSERT BOARD SO YOU DON’T LOSE IT.
JOIN ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE CREATIVE RECIPES ~ I LOVE TO PIN 🙂
Also read: Can you use tomato sauce for pizza