- Smoking Ham on a Pellet Grill
- What’s a Twice Smoked Ham?
- What Sort of Ham to Purchase for Twice Smoked Ham
- Ham with Pure Juices vs. Ham with Water Added: Which is Higher?
- Boneless Hams vs. Bone-In Hams: Which is Higher?
- How A lot Ham is Sufficient?
- How Lengthy To Smoke Ham on a Pellet Grill
- How To Smoke Ham On A Pellet Grill
- What Aspect Dishes Go Properly with Twice-Smoked Ham?
- The Greatest Twice Smoked Ham Recipe
Smoking Ham on a Pellet Grill
Most households make their vacation meals of their oven—and whereas that’s an effective way to do it, utilizing your pellet grill smoker to cook dinner classics like vacation hams is a good higher thought.
Whether or not you want a twice smoked ham for Christmas, Easter, or one other festive celebration, this double smoked ham is the juicy, flavorful, and scrumptious recipe you’re in search of. With a brown sugar glaze on the skin, your ham’s exterior develops a candy and crispy caramelization.
However the very best a part of all? It’s easy and straightforward to make as a result of your twice smoked ham wants little consideration whereas it smokes in your pellet grill.
Reading: How to smoke a ham on a pellet grill
What’s a Twice Smoked Ham?
Twice smoked ham that’s purchased pre-cooked after which smoked once more in your grill to offer it added taste and texture.
What Sort of Ham to Purchase for Twice Smoked Ham
Whenever you buy a ham within the retailer, you’ve got the choice to buy a pre-cooked ham or a uncooked ham.
Pre-cooked hams are additionally known as Metropolis Hams, smoked hams, cured hams, or baked hams, and so they’re the most well-liked possibility. All hams are cured, and the most well-liked manner of curing ham is a “wet cure.” That simply means the hams are soaked or injected with brine, an answer of salt, sugar, and spices.
These cooked hams are suitable for eating chilly proper out of the package deal (however that’s not the way you’re going to serve it on Christmas or Easter day). To search out pre-cooked hams within the retailer, it’s also possible to search for these labels:
- totally cooked
- able to serve
- able to eat
Uncooked hams may be labeled as contemporary ham—and that’s not the type we would like for this twice smoked ham recipe.
For this recipe, you’ll solely be smoking your ham as soon as. That’s as a result of while you purchase it, it is going to have already been smoked as soon as, ideally. If you could find a “smoked” ham in your grocery retailer, purchase that one. Should you can’t, any pre-cooked ham will work for this recipe.
Ham with Pure Juices vs. Ham with Water Added: Which is Higher?
Since pre-cooked hams are normally moist cured, it’s widespread for water to be added to the hams. However extra water means much less taste.
If you would like the very best high quality twice smoked ham, right here’s what you can purchase so as from finest to worst:
- Ham (with no water added)
- Ham with pure juices
- Ham with water added (with a excessive protein score between 17% to 18.5%)
- Ham with water added (with a low protein score beneath 17%)
Boneless Hams vs. Bone-In Hams: Which is Higher?
Read more: Tri tip roast slow cook
Now, hams are additionally bought bone-in and bone-out. You need to use both for this recipe, however I like to recommend going for a bone-in ham since you’ll get extra taste.
Boneless hams are simpler to chop, however it’s good to resolve if that comfort is value sacrificing taste.
How A lot Ham is Sufficient?
When shopping for a ham, it’s good to take into account how many individuals you’re feeding and the way massive their appetites are.
Whereas there are different-sized hams, you’ll additionally have to resolve in order for you a complete ham or a half ham. Complete hams (additionally labeled “leg of ham”) include the butt and shank and normally weigh between 15 to twenty kilos. A half ham typically weighs 7 to 12 kilos.
Should you’re getting a bone-in ham, you’ll need to portion a ½ pound to ¾ pound of ham per particular person. Contemplate in the event you’re feeding a number of hungry adults with massive appetites, in the event you’ll have a number of different meals, and if a few of your friends are unlikely to eat a lot of the ham (like young children or vegetarians).
Right here’s a fast information for you:
- 10 individuals might end a 5-to-7-pound ham
- 15 individuals might end an 8-to-11-pound ham
- 20 individuals might end a 10-15-pound ham
How Lengthy To Smoke Ham on a Pellet Grill
The time your ham takes to cook dinner is decided by how a lot it weighs. Typically, your ham will take 10-12 minutes to cook dinner per pound of meat when smoked on a pellet grill at 225°F.
So, a 10-pound ham will take about 100-120 minutes to cook dinner, which is 1 hour and 40 minutes or 2 hours.
How To Smoke Ham On A Pellet Grill
When smoking a ham on a pellet grill, you need to be sure you have the proper gear—and that features a Z Grills pellet smoker and a meat thermometer to know the inner temperature of your meat.
Also read: Flat top grill dinner recipes
With these two issues, you’ll love how simple this ham on a pellet grill recipe is.
You’ll begin with getting ready the ham by drying it off and scoring it. Then, you’ll go away it to smoke for 1-2 hours.
Whereas the ham is cooking, you’ll put together a easy but candy brown sugar glaze to brush on over the last hour or much less of cooking. Then, you’ll let your twice smoked ham on a pellet grill relaxation for 10-Half-hour.
Sure. It’s that easy!
If you wish to know all of the finer particulars of methods to smoke a ham on a pellet grill, take a look at our full recipe for ham on a pellet grill beneath.
What Aspect Dishes Go Properly with Twice-Smoked Ham?
Since your twice smoked ham might be candy and salty, I like to recommend pairing it with facet dishes that may floor the meal, like:
- mashed, smashed, or roasted potatoes
- potato, hen, or egg salad
- inexperienced bean casserole
- asparagus, broccoli, or brussels sprouts
- roasted carrots or candy potatoes
- dinner rolls or biscuits
- cornbread, corn pudding, or buttered corn on the cob
- mac and cheese
The Greatest Twice Smoked Ham Recipe
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Prepare dinner time: 1-3 hours (relying on the scale of your ham)
Complete time: 1 hour 5 minutes to three hours 10 minutes
- One pre-cooked ham (smoked ham is good) For the glaze
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup of pure maple syrup or honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon floor cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of floor allspice, nutmeg, or ginger
- Preheat your Z Grills pellet smoker to 225°F.
- Whereas your grill preheats, take away your smoked ham from the package deal. It might be pre-glazed. On this case, rinse it off. Pat the ham dry with paper or material towels.
- Rating the ham’s exterior by slicing the pores and skin in a crisscross sample. In case your ham is spiral minimize, you possibly can skip this step.
- Place a temperature probe inside your unglazed ham, after which put each inside your pellet grill. Shut the lid.
- Smoke your unglazed ham till the inner temperature reaches 130°F to 135°F, about 1-2 hours or 10 minutes per pound of ham.
- Whereas your ham is smoking, put together the glaze. Combine all glaze components (brown sugar, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, cinnamon, and allspice) in a saucepan till effectively integrated.
- Warmth the glaze over medium warmth, often stirring till the sugar fully dissolves and the glaze turns into a syrup-like consistency. Should you by accident make the glaze too thick, add a tablespoon of liquid (like apple juice, root beer, or beer) to the glaze to skinny it out.
- Take away the ham from the grill (after it reaches an inner temperature of 130°F). Place it in a grill-safe dish (like an aluminum pan or cast-iron skillet).
- Brush on the glaze evenly throughout all the ham. Should you don’t use all of the glaze, that’s okay.
- Place the glazed ham again in your 225°F pellet smoker.
- Each 10 minutes, apply or reapply extra glaze. Use your reserved glaze or scorching glaze out of your pan drippings.
- Take away your ham when the inner temperature reaches 140°F.
- Evenly cowl the ham with foil and permit it to relaxation for 10-Half-hour earlier than serving.
Read more: How to cook riblets on the grill