I’ve a great pal who we typically name “Mr. Safety.”
Sadly, it’s an ironic nickname gained from incidents involving alcohol and fireworks, and an over-stuffed yard hearth capturing a pillar of flames 6 ft into the air.
Reading: How to put out charcoal grill fire
Mr. Security shouldn’t be allowed close to the barbecue.
At this time, you’re going to study to be an precise Mr. Security (or Ms. Security) on the subject of your charcoal grill.
In contrast to propane gasoline grills, you can’t flip off a charcoal grill to place out the hearth if you’ve completed cooking. So, how do you cope with the still-burning coals if you’re able to shut it down?
On this article, I’ll train you tips on how to safely extinguish your charcoal grill and eliminate the ash and used charcoal. Plus, you’ll discover ways to save unused charcoal for later, and I’ll share a number of issues to not do with lit charcoal.
First, let’s reply this burning query…
Why Do I Have to Extinguish My Charcoal Grill?
You’re completed grilling your meals, so that you’re completed with the grill, proper? Not so quick — there are nonetheless lit lumps of charcoal in there. The charcoal will proceed to burn till it’s fully extinguished except you place it out your self.
Should you’ve used quite a lot of charcoal, that would take many hours. Throughout that point, it’ll smolder away unattended. It turns into a danger for youngsters, pets, unaware adults, and even your property. How so?
Nicely, should you’re not stationed on the grill, it will be simple for another person to imagine it’s out and, subsequently, not sizzling.
A burn from a sizzling grill could be extreme. Or, suppose an animal crashes into it and knocks it over, spilling sizzling coals in all places? A number of lit coals within the grass or on wooden decking may begin a critical fireplace.
Read more: How to grill filet mignon weber
Environmentally talking, you’re releasing carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide needlessly into the air. Plus, you’re losing charcoal you possibly can probably use once more. (And we’ll speak about that extra in a while.)
Over at Food52, they inform us that charcoal can keep sizzling for as much as 24 hours, and even longer. Should you attempt to eliminate coals that aren’t completely out, you danger beginning a hearth.
Final, however definitely not least, the most effective lumpwood charcoal, and even the extra inexpensive briquettes simply aren’t low cost! Should you can extinguish them, you’ll be able to re-use this charcoal later, saving cash.
Step-by-Step Directions for How to Put Out A Charcoal Grill
There are quite a lot of opinions across the web on how finest to snuff out your charcoal. Right here’s what I believe is the most secure and cleanest methodology:
- Put the lid on and shut the highest and backside vents.Charcoal, like something, wants oxygen to burn. Closing the vents successfully suffocates the charcoal after they deplete no matter air is trapped inside.
- Wait 4 to eight hours for the charcoal to exit and the grill to chill down.Sure, that’s a very long time to attend. However, that’s how lengthy it could possibly take for all of the embers to die and the grill to chill off. Throughout that point, be certain your grill is safely out of hurt’s method or blocked off.
- Scoop out and eliminate the ash and spent charcoalIn case your grill has an ash dump, use it to get out as a lot ash as attainable. All the time acquire it in a metallic container, by no means plastic. Scoop the remaining ash and charcoal out of the underside of your grill. Kingsford, one of many best-known makers of charcoal briquettes, recommends amassing the ash and charcoal on a big sheet of aluminum foil. Wrap all of it up within the foil and put it in a metallic ashcan. Utilizing this methodology, there may be most likely zero probability of any still-live embers setting something on fireplace.
- Salvage any reusable charcoalIf there are any lumps of charcoal that appear to be they’ll be good for an additional day, pull them out earlier than you throw all the pieces away. Use metallic tongs, simply to be protected, and both put them again in your grill or, and this can be a higher concept, retailer them in a fire-proof container.
A giant thanks exit to The On-line Grill for his or her glorious take a look at this subject.
Can I Pour Water On My Charcoal to Put it Out?
There isn’t a doubt that water is fireplace’s arch-enemy. Pouring a bath of water over your coals will put them out. However that doesn’t imply it is best to do it.
As with most features of barbecuing, there may be disagreement on this one. Kingsford says to go forward and use water to extinguish your charcoal rapidly. “Spray away” and “Drown ’em good” is how they put it.
Alternatively, Rockwood, one other charcoal firm, recommends in opposition to utilizing water. They’ve supplied three fairly darn good causes, too:
- The thermal shock attributable to pouring chilly water right into a sizzling grill may crack your cooker
- The sudden cloud of steam is a burn hazard
- You may wash still-burning coals proper out the underside of the grill
Right here’s one other good purpose — it creates a sludgy mess within the backside of your grill. If that stuff hardens, you’re left with clogged vents, caught dampers, and a giant clean-up job. Cleansing a charcoal grill is difficult work sufficient, with out it making worse!
Our suggestion is just to make use of water should you completely should pack-up your grill and go briefly order. For instance, should you’re tenting or tailgating. In these instances, use the minimal quantity of water attainable after which switch the entire mess to a metallic can for protected transport.
What to Do In An Emergency
On uncommon events, a hearth can get out of hand, even in a barbecue. Most frequently, the wrongdoer is grease dripping down from the meals onto the new charcoal. When the grease causes the flames to shoot up from the hearth pit, it’s referred to as a flare-up.
Most flare-ups are simply managed if you already know what to do. In reality, we’ve obtained a useful article about that actual topic proper right here: Stopping and controlling flare-ups.
Also read: What cut of meat is best for pot roast
If the hearth will get uncontrolled, what do you do?
Right here’s what you don’t do — don’t throw water on it. Pouring water on a grease fireplace sprays flaming grease in all places, which, as you’ll be able to think about, is a foul factor. Should you can’t think about it, watch this video:
Your finest guess is to place the quilt again on the grill to chop off the oxygen and smother the flames. Use excessive warning and put on heat-proof gloves. Failing that, attain to your extinguisher to place out the hearth — each griller ought to have one close by.
How Can I Save Unused Charcoal?
As talked about earlier, any charcoal that isn’t completely used up is price saving. Sadly, even after protecting your grill and shutting the vents, it’s going to proceed to burn for some time.
What’s left behind, you’ll be able to completely use once more. However, is there a option to save much more of your charcoal?
Should you’re actually frugal, you’ll be able to douse charcoal, dry it out, and use it once more. Right here’s what you do:
- Refill a metallic bucket with chilly water.
- Put in your heat-proof gloves and get your metallic tongs prepared.
- Use the tongs to extract a single piece of charcoal.
- Dunk the charcoal within the water for about 60 seconds.
- Switch the extinguished coal to a non-flammable floor.
- Repeat for every lump or briquette you need to save, arranging them in a single layer.
- Enable to air dry within the solar.
- As soon as fully dry, retailer in a fire-proof container till wanted.
For the most effective outcomes, combine in new charcoal together with your reclaimed charcoal to your subsequent cook dinner session.
This methodology might not work with cheap briquettes. A budget stuff tends to crumble if it’s been moist. Plus, briquettes made with starter brokers (which we don’t suggest anyway), could also be troublesome to relight after they’ve had a shower. Save this tip for high-grade briquettes and pure lump charcoal.
In fact, charcoal isn’t terribly costly, actually. We’ll go away it as much as you to resolve if it’s price all this effort.
Optimistically, you’ve learn this text earlier than lighting up your charcoal grill! Now that you already know what to do, go get pleasure from a protected and thrifty barbecue.
We’ve obtained heaps extra data on charcoal grilling and smoking that will help you get probably the most out of your barbecue. Remember to poke across the website and bookmark the stuff you want.
I additionally invite you to share hyperlinks with your pals and to hitch our neighborhood on social media. A bit BBQ inspiration in your feed makes the day loads higher!
Read more: How to cook pork roast on smoker