Pickled okra is one in every of my favourite treats to serve on a cheese board, and this straightforward recipe for spicy fridge pickled okra is a good way to protect contemporary okra within the summertime!
Reading: How to pickle okra spicy
Welcome to week 3 of the Candy Cayenne Veg Fest! I hope you might be having fun with the sequence. Thus far, we have celebrated contemporary summer season produce by making Straightforward Pickled Cherry Tomatoes, BLT Panzanella Salad, Easy Roasted Okra, and Oven-Fried Inexperienced Tomatoes with Sizzling Sauce Aioli. Have you ever gotten an opportunity to strive any of the recipes??? When you do, please share an image with the tag #sweetcayennevegfest so I can see it!
Pickled okra is one in every of my favourite issues to placed on a snack board – be it cheese board, antipasti board, or only a smorgasbord of issues I’ve scrounged round within the pantry or fridge for. The tangy, briny, crunchy-ness of pickled okra is simply so satisfying and tastes good paired with so many issues! Generally when Ryan and I are having burgers or BLT’s, I am going to simply serve up a plate of pickled meals like okra, cucumbers, tomatoes, or giardiniera veggies because the aspect dish. The zesty acidic taste is the simply the factor to cleanse the palate between bites of a meaty sandwich. YUM!
Read more: Quick pickle recipes from cucumbers
Every week after I bought some okra from the farmer’s marketplace for roasting in my Easy Roasted Okra, I went again and bought extra to strive my hand at quick-pickling the veggie. I selected to not can it for dry storage, just because I knew Ryan and I’d need to get pleasure from it throughout the previous few weeks of summer season. And pickled okra is simply so good, it would not appear to final lengthy in our home! This recipe for Spicy Fridge Pickled Okra is so easy and straightforward to make – it is a terrific place for a newbie pickler to start out. Let’s make some!
Components for Spicy Fridge Pickled Okra
- Contemporary okra pods – contemporary okra is in season from July-September and may be readily discovered at many native farmer’s markets. Select pods which might be agency and 2-4” in size for pickling.
- Contemporary dill – Ryan and I spent a lot cash final 12 months shopping for contemporary dill for pickling mission that this 12 months, we wised up and planted a few of our personal. And I am SO glad we did as a result of contemporary dill is a necessary ingredient in so many pickling recipes. Your pickling brine actually will not style the identical (or have a pleasant clear coloration) in the event you substitute with dried dill, so strive your greatest to solely use contemporary!
- Garlic – complete garlic cloves are a standard ingredient in lots of pickling recipes, and you may add kind of to a recipe relying on how a lot you want the flavour of garlic. I’ve extra of a choice for a light garlic taste, so I sometimes simply add 1-2 small cloves per pint-sized jar in my recipes.
- Dried or contemporary peppers – I used dried complete pink peppers on this recipe (what pink pepper flakes are comprised of), however in the event you’ve obtained some contemporary jalapeno or serrano peppers mendacity round, use them! Plan to make use of 1-2 peppers per pint-sized jar, and slice the pepper into rounds or simply in half, relying on how a lot warmth you need to infuse into the pickling liquid. My recipe is written for a mild-moderate quantity of warmth.
- Complete mustard seeds – one other important ingredient for a lot of customary pickling recipes! I like to purchase complete yellow mustard seeds within the bulk part of shops that promote complete spices. You’ll save some huge cash this manner, and complete spices will maintain for 2-3 years.
- Complete peppercorns – once more, one other important pickling ingredient! I at all times have these readily available to refill my pepper grinder, as a result of the flavour of freshly-cracked pepper is a lot extra vibrant in recipes than floor pepper.
- Apple cider vinegar – the vinegar is what “pickles” the vegetable, and apple cider or white vinegar are the commonest pickling vinegar. I really like the golden coloration that it lends to the pickling brine!
- Sugar – only a trace of sugar will stability out the acidity of the vinegar within the pickling brine. Not sufficient to make the pickles style candy by any means – only a trace for taste stability. You probably will not acknowledge that it is there if you style the pickles.
- Salt – you should utilize pickling/canning salt or Kosher salt for many pickling recipes. Pickling salt is way finer than iodized desk salt and dissolves rapidly into brines, making it perfect for canning. Pickling salt is freed from iodine, which may make pickles actually darkish. It is also freed from anti-caking brokers, which may make your pickle brine cloudy. When you use kosher salt, simply verify the elements label to ensure it is freed from anti-caking brokers.
How to Make Spicy Fridge Pickled Okra
- Place contemporary elements in a clear canning jar – this would come with the okra, dill, and garlic. Since you will not be boiling the jars in a water bathtub and due to this fact do not want lids that seal, you’ll be able to reuse previous lids and canning rings. Simply make certain they’re clear!
- Carry vinegar, salt, sugar, complete spices, and peppers to a boil – as soon as it begins to boil, take away from warmth and pour evenly over the contemporary gadgets in your jars.
- Fill the rest of the jars up with water. Then let your jars cool for about half-hour earlier than placing the lids on.
- Label and date your lids, then refrigerate. Your fridge pickles will maintain for two months, so you’ll want to label them with the date you made them and what the merchandise is.
- Let okra pickle for 3-5 days earlier than consuming them. I attempted mine at 2 days and the okra had considerably of a slimy texture. I stored pickling them and tried them on day 5, they usually have been good! The okra wants some time within the vinegar to do away with the slimy texture. After day 5, the okra was completely crisp with NO sliminess!
Methods to Use Spicy Fridge Pickled Okra
- On a cheeseboard – pickled okra is ideal on any sort of cheese or antipasti board since you want a tangy aspect to pair with salty meats and cheeses. I significantly get pleasure from pickled okra paired with Havarti cheese, pimento cheese, pickled peaches, and oven-baked inexperienced tomatoes for a summery, Southern-themed board.
- As a aspect dish – as I discussed earlier within the put up, I like to serve pickled veggies as a easy aspect dish with burgers or BLT’ sandwiches. Since these are usually heavier, hearty sandwiches, I wish to maintain issues balanced by serving a easy however actually delish veggie aspect dish. We’re at all times enthusiastic about pickled veggies at my home!
- In a salad – when chopped up into little cash, pickled okra is scrumptious as a salad topping! Use it rather than different briny elements like olives, pepperoncini, or capers. I will be posting a pea salad with pickled okra later this week, so you’ll want to verify again for that.
- As a snack – serve pickled okra as a snack with hummus or cheese and crackers!
- In gumbo – the briny acidity of pickled okra is the proper trace of un
Also read: What does a pickle taste like
Comparable and Complementary Recipes
- Purple Hull Pea and Okra Salad
- Easy Roasted Okra
- Grilled Shrimp Boil Packets
- Purple Beans and Rice
- Straightforward Pickled Cherry Tomatoes
Are you able to make these Spicy Fridge Pickled Okra? I’m so excited so that you can do this recipe. When you get the prospect to make it, please let me know the way it seems for you! Depart a remark and price the recipe under. This may assist me with the creation of future recipes! I’d additionally like to function your creation in my month-to-month publication, so you’ll be able to add a photograph to Instagram or Twitter with the tag @sweetcayenne5 to be featured!
Pin this, fairly please:
Read more: Does pickles need to be refrigerated