A vanilla chai latte combines the spices of masala chai with the froth of a latte! This fancy tea latte tastes prefer it’s from a espresso store.
How cozy does this cup look? Sure, this vanilla chai latte is the equal of placing on a fuzzy sweater and curling up by a roaring hearth. In reality, perhaps it’ll assist me with my aversion to creating it by means of the winter! This tea is flavored with the gorgeous spices of masala chai: cinnamon, cardamom and ginger. Add to it the frothed milk foam from a restaurant latte, and also you’ll really feel such as you’re consuming a flowery tea latte out of your native espresso store. Right here’s find out how to make it (and why to not order a chai tea latte).
Reading: How to make vanilla chai tea
Why to not say chai tea latte
First up: let’s discuss terminology. Keep away from saying the phrases “vanilla chai tea latte.” In reality, ban the section chai tea out of your vocabulary all collectively. Why? The phrase chai interprets to “tea” in Hindi, so saying chai tea is like saying “tea tea.”
The extra right time period for the Indian tea mix is masala chai. The phrase masala refers to a mix of spices utilized in cooking. Identical to the phrase curry, a Westernized discount of a fancy mix of Indian spices, the American idea of chai can acceptable a wealthy Indian cultural custom.
So what’s a vanilla chai latte?
A chai latte is a Western invention: it takes conventional masala chai, the milky spiced tea from India, and combines it with frothy steamed milk of a latte. The mashup was popularized by Starbucks within the 1990’s. Many coffeehouse variations of a chai latte have little left of the standard Indian inspiration: they’re usually too candy and overly spiced.
The recipe beneath for a vanilla chai latte is gently spiced and subtly candy, with an attractive vanilla essence. It combines our masala chai recipe for milky tea with chai spices, then provides steamed milk for a frothy prime. It’s simply candy sufficient and lightweight as a substitute of overly wealthy.
Make a selfmade chai spices mix
Masala chai spices can embrace many various substances based mostly on the cook dinner, similar to curry powder. This Do-it-yourself Chai Spice combine makes use of frequent chai spices, however notice there are various extra used regionally in Indian blends. Typically conventional masala chai will use entire spices, or require the cook dinner to grind entire spices in a mortar and pestle. This mix makes use of floor spices for simplicity, and it additionally lets you use this combine in baking recipes. Right here’s what you’ll want for the chai spices:
- Black pepper
- Fennel seed
How to froth milk for a vanilla chai latte
Crucial a part of a vanilla chai latte is frothing the milk! You’ll want a bit of approach to get the right foam, and a few gear. If it’s your first time frothing, we extremely suggest studying How to Froth Milk earlier than you begin.
- One of the best milk for a tea latte? Our favourite is 2% milk. Use entire milk in the event you like a richer latte, however keep away from skim.*
- Warmth the milk to 150 levels (scalding). The temperature is vital for the right frothy foam. Use a meals thermometer for greatest outcomes. Or wait till the milk is scorching to the contact with some small bubbles beginning to type on the surface, but it surely’s not but simmering.
- Use a French press or hand frother. We used our French press to froth the milk and it labored nice. You can too use a hand frother (which works even higher!), or just vigorously whisk the milk. For the French press, pump 100 instances or 1 minute: this could end in stunning, creamy and frothy foam!
Read more: Brown sugar milk tea recipe
*Need a vegan vanilla chai latte? The following pointers work just for dairy milk. Go to our Vegan Chai Latte publish for find out how to froth non-dairy milk.
Sweeteners for this vanilla chai latte
This vanilla chai latte is crafted to be simply candy sufficient! Should you’re used to tremendous sugary drinks from Starbucks, you’ll be able to add a bit of extra sweetener prematurely. Right here’s what we like to make use of to sweeten it excellent:
- Maple syrup (favourite). Maple syrup is our favourite pure sweetener for drinks: it provides nuance with out maple taste. (We additionally use it for cocktails.)
- Easy syrup. Easy syrup has extra of an intensely candy, easy taste.
- Honey or agave syrup. These pure sweeteners additionally add mild sweetness.
Extra fancy tea drinks & tea lattes
Love consuming tea lattes? Listed below are a number of extra methods to benefit from the taste of chai spices:
- Chai Latte Right here’s find out how to make a chai latte at residence…the simple approach! This drink is creamy and comfy spiced with the right fluffy foam topping.
- Matcha Latte or Iced Matcha Latte These basic inexperienced drinks are creamy and scrumptious.
- Good Tea Latte Make a straight-up tea latte with out the spices: even easier.
- Vegan Chai Latte Make it plant based mostly through the use of oat milk!
- Soiled Chai Latte Add a shot of espresso to your chai latte (our favourite).
- Masala Chai Go conventional and luxuriate in this stunning masala chai, sans foam.
- Iced Chai Latte This sweetly refreshing tea latte is made with black tea, cozy spices and milk. Or go for espresso with an Iced Latte!
This recipe is…
Vegetarian and gluten-free. For vegan, plant-based and dairy-free, go to Vegan Chai Latte.
Read more: Best time to drink detox tea