I’m persevering with my animal cake sequence with this lovely cow cake!
It’s made with moist, 6-inch marble cake layers and scrumptious vanilla buttercream. It’s simply as cute as it’s tasty!
Reading: How to make a cow cake
Making this Cow Cake: Step by Step Tutorial
Let’s stroll by means of every step of this cake collectively to ensure it seems as superb as doable!
Step 1: Bake and Trim Your Cake Layers
Line three 6-inch spherical cake pans with parchment rounds and grease with non-stick baking spray or home made cake launch.
Alternate spoonfuls of chocolate and vanilla cake batter into the ready cake pans, filling them roughly one inch excessive with batter.
Bake for 33-35 minutes or till a skewer comes out with a couple of moist crumbs. Allow them to cool for 10 minutes, then run an offset spatula round perimeter of the pan to separate the cake from the pan. Flip the cake layers onto a wire rack to complete cooling.
Stage the cake layers with a serrated knife as soon as they’re absolutely cooled. I additionally selected to torte every cake layer to show my 3, thicker cake layers in 6 thinner cake layers, however that is completely optionally available!
Step #2: Make the Buttercream Frosting
Whereas the cake layers bake and funky, make the vanilla buttercream frosting. You should utilize both an electrical hand mixer or a stand mixer.
In case your frosting appears too thick after mixing collectively all of your elements, add in further cream (1 teaspoon at a time). Or if the frosting is just too skinny, add in additional powdered sugar (1/4 cup at a time).
Read more: Lemon cake with blueberry filling
In the event you’re not sure how thick your frosting must be, you’ll be able to be taught what consistency you’re in search of in my frosting consistency submit.
When you’ve completed making the frosting, you should have a big bowl of vanilla buttercream, and two small piping luggage stuffed with pink and black buttercream.
Step 3: Assemble and Frost the Cake Layers
Subsequent it’s time to assemble the cake! I like to recommend freezing your cake layers for about 20 minutes earlier than stacking them. It’ll make them was simpler to deal with and frost.
Stack and frost the cake layers on an 8-inch greaseproof cake board. I like to recommend utilizing a dab of frosting to assist stick the underside cake layer to the board.
Unfold a good layer of frosting between every cake layer with an offset spatula. Add a skinny coat of frosting (crumb coat) across the cake to totally cowl the cake layers.
Clean utilizing a bench scraper, then chill the cake within the fridge (half-hour) or freezer (10 minutes) till the frosting is agency to the contact.
Cowl the cake in a thicker layer of the vanilla buttercream and clean utilizing a bench scraper. Chill the cake once more till the frosting is agency to the contact. This may make it a lot simpler so as to add on the cow’s spots and snout!
Step 4: Making this Little Cow’s Face
Whereas the cake chills, colour 1/4 cup of white fondant an ivory colour utilizing a small drop of brown gel meals coloring. Knead the fondant till it’s evenly coloured. I like to do that in a plastic bag in order that I don’t dye my palms. Form two horns utilizing the ivory coloured fondant and put aside.
Colour 1 Tbsp of white fondant the identical shade of pink as your buttercream utilizing a small drop of pink gel meals coloring. Lower out two small rings to be the cow’s nostrils and reduce out two-1 inch circles to be the within of the cow’s ears.
Also read: How to make edible paint for cakes
Roll out the remaining white fondant and use a 1 1/2-inch circle cutter to chop the ears. Place the pink circles on high of the white fondant. Pinch collectively the underside of the circles to present them a bit extra form, then insert toothpicks into the bottom of every ear to make them simpler so as to add to the cake.
Roll out the black fondant and use a circle cutter or bottle cap to chop out two 1-inch circles to make the eyes, and three skinny arches to make the cow’s eye brows and mouth.
I like to recommend utilizing small circle cutters to get the form of the ears and eyes excellent.
Step 5: Add the Ending Touches
The ultimate step is to cowl the cake is spots and add on its facial options!
Take away the cake from the freezer or fridge. Use the pink buttercream to pipe and clean a big, rectangular, semi-circle onto the cake to make the cow’s snout.
Subsequent add the fondant eyes, nostrils, mouth, ears and horns. Use the black buttercream to pipe spots across the cake, and clean them with a small offset spatula.
Cow Cake Substitutions and Swaps
Under are some swaps and substitutions that may be made on this marble cake recipe.
- All Objective Flour – This recipe seems finest with AP flour, however you need to use a gluten free flour mix or cake flour if that’s all you’ve gotten readily available.
- Granulated Sugar – I don’t advocate lowering the quantity of sugar or altering the kind of sugar, as it is going to change the feel of the cake layers.
- Buttermilk – You can even use full fats yogurt, bitter cream, complete milk, or another yogurt or milk (almond, soy, oat) when you’re dairy free.
- Eggs – In the event you don’t have eggs readily available or you’ve gotten an egg allergy you need to use a flaxseed egg as a substitute or 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce.
- Vegetable Oil – You should utilize any flavorless oil on this recipe, so canola and even sunflower oil would work nice!
- Vanilla Extract – Different extracts will also be used instead of the vanilla extract like coconut extract or hazelnut extract.
- Unsalted Butter – In the event you solely have salted butter readily available you need to use it instead of the unsalted butter on this recipe. Simply you should definitely omit the salt that this frosting recipe requires. You can even use vegan butter as a substitute!
- Heavy Cream – Complete milk or various milk (soy, almond, oat) will work effective on this frosting recipe if that’s what you’ve gotten readily available.
Ideas for Making the Finest Cow Cake:
- Make sure to correctly measure your flour (spoon into the cup measure, then stage) or use a kitchen scale to measure your dry elements.
- Substances at room temp combine collectively higher, so make certain you set out any chilly elements forward of time.
- Combine your cake batter simply till the elements are integrated. This may guarantee your cake layers are tender and tender.
- Use a bench scraper that can assist you get your remaining coat of frosting tremendous clean.
- Chill your cake layers within the freezer for about 20 minutes earlier than assembling the cake. This makes it simpler to stack and frost.
- Make this cow cake vegan or dairy free if wanted! Use your favourite kind of dairy free milk to switch the buttermilk and heavy cream, and use vegan butter sticks instead of the butter. For the eggs I like to recommend utilizing an egg replacer like this.
Making this Cow Cake in Advance & Storage Ideas:
- Make your cake layers prematurely and freeze them. It breaks the method up and make it extra approachable.
- Make your frosting forward of time too, or save any leftover frosting! It may be saved in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as a month, or within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Make sure to give it an excellent stir as soon as it thaws to get the consistency good and clean once more.
- A frosted cake can final within the fridge for as much as every week, or within the freezer for as much as a month. The buttercream locks in all of the moisture, maintaining the cake contemporary and scrumptious!
- In the event you reduce into the cake and have leftovers, use any remaining frosting to cowl the reduce part to maintain it moist and retailer within the fridge for as much as every week.
Different Recipes You May Like:
Let Me Know What You Suppose!
In the event you make this cow birthday cake, I’d love to listen to what consider it! Let me know by leaving a ranking beneath.
In the event you plan to share on social media, you’ll be able to tag me @chelsweets! Additionally use the #chelsweets in order that I can see your superb creations on social media.
Read more: Recipe whipping cream pound cake