Let’s be trustworthy, who has time to bake anymore?
It doesn’t matter what the occasion is, be it a celebration, commencement, engagement dinner – there merely isn’t sufficient time. Our lives have develop into so busy that when these events arrive, we often simply seize one thing from the grocery retailer.
Reading: How to freeze pound cake
Particularly when making muffins for birthdays, it requires numerous time to make. However wouldn’t your life be simpler in the event you might in some way make your cake months upfront? A quite simple, straight-forward answer can be to place the cake within the freezer.
The query is, are you able to freeze pound cake? Sure, you possibly can freeze pound cake to protect it. Merely cool your cake, wrap it tightly, put a label on it, and retailer it within the freezer. Within the freezer, pound cake will final 2 to 4 months however it’s best to devour inside 3 to 4 weeks after freezing.
On this article, we’ll take a look at other ways to freeze pound cake, the way it impacts the flavour and texture, and take a look at a couple of methods to make your life even simpler.
You’ll by no means must bake a cake at midnight once more and each occasion might be rather a lot much less demanding from right here on out. Let’s get began!
How to Freeze Pound Cake
When freezing pound cake, there are three kinds of wrapping you need to use; GLAD Press ‘n Seal (or a similar product), plastic wrap, or wax paper.
No matter which you use, you will need to cover it with aluminum foil as well so you can write information on it.
Steps For Freezing Pound Cake
1. Once your cake is baked through, allow the layers to cool completely. Some people wrap their cakes while still warm, but a big rule in the food industry is to never wrap and freeze hot foods – so we’ll simply persist with that.
2. As soon as your cake has utterly cooled, wrap the cake in a primary layer utilizing your most popular wrap. Be sure your cake is wrapped tightly and that no moisture can enter or exit – you may must wrap it a number of instances with some kinds of wrapping.
3. Subsequent, you possibly can wrap the cake once more in aluminum foil.
4. Write the small print of the cake on the foil. Embrace the next info:
- What kind of cake it’s, e.g. vanilla pound cake, pink velvet cake, sponge cake, and many others.
- The date the cake was baked on.
- The use-by date which is often 2-4 months after the date the cake was baked.
- You too can write the event you wish to use the cake for thus it’s simpler to take away the batch when the time comes.
Place the muffins in a freezer with a temperature of about 0 levels Fahrenheit (-18 levels Celsius).
“Dos” and “Don’ts” When Freezing Muffins
Read more: Bread flour versus ap flour
For further tips about freezing muffins for greatest outcomes, let’s take a look at a couple of “dos” and “don’ts”:
Freezing Embellished Pound Muffins
You could or might not wish to freeze adorned or iced muffins. It is dependent upon what’s most vital to you.
As muffins freeze and defrost, sure muffins’ form and texture change rather a lot, thus if that cake has decorations on it, your onerous work is perhaps ruined.
If you freeze muffins which have already been iced, we are able to’t deny that it does assist retain the moisture within the cake and helps forestall the cake from drying out, however it’s totally as much as you.
You may wish to experiment and take a look at this along with your recipes, as completely different recipes will have an effect on the result.
Alternatively, buttercream frosting could be pre-made and frozen for 2-3 months and thawed when prepared for use. You too can place your frosting within the fridge for 1 week earlier than utilizing it.
If you end up prepared to brighten your cake, merely defrost the buttercream icing and embellish your cake. That is in all probability the only answer in the case of adorned muffins.
Results of Freezing on Pound Cake
Freezing helps lure the prevailing moisture within the cake, not like refrigeration which dries it out. Due to this fact, whenever you thaw the cake, don’t place it again into the fridge and you’ll undoubtedly have a moist cake.
The style can even not be affected so long as you retailer it in a freezer that doesn’t have another smells roaming round.
As beforehand talked about, some foils have a tendency to present it a special colour and style on muffins, so additionally keep away from utilizing them immediately on the cake floor.
Sadly, as with all kind of meals, in the event you retailer it for longer than 3 months, the feel and style will inevitably change. You may discover that the cake is much less flavorful or that the feel is crumbly and course.
We suggest utilizing your frozen muffins inside 1 month after they’ve been frozen because it helps forestall any side from being compromised. However, muffins could be saved safely for 3 to 4 months.
Suggestions & Methods
Try a couple of extra concepts that can assist you freeze pound muffins with greatest outcomes:
- The form of the cake doesn’t have an effect on the freezing course of; nonetheless, the scale of the cake will have an effect on the freezing time. The bigger and thicker the layers, the longer they’ll take to freeze.
- Freezing the layers individually helps with decreasing the crumbs whenever you ultimately embellish your cake. It additionally lets you defrost precisely the quantity of layers you want. If layers are frozen collectively, they can even generally stick to one another and break aside when defrosting.
- We discover that leveling the muffins earlier than freezing simply reduces the quantity of labor come ornament day. However, you possibly can degree the muffins after freezing. Cake scraps could be frozen individually in a container for later use.
- Label your muffins. This helps you simply establish the kind of cake you might be on the lookout for within the freezer. It additionally helps with FIFO (first-in, first-out) or inventory rotation, so you need to use the oldest muffins first.
- Wrapping the layers on cake boards (like these cake boards from Wilton) will assist with stacking muffins within the freezer.
Well being and Security
Also read: What to do with bread dough that didn t rise
Be sure your freezer is in correct working situation so the layers can freeze as shortly as attainable in addition to not defrost if the freezer will get too heat. Fixed freezing and defrosting of meals may cause the meals to develop into extraordinarily hazardous.
This may appear to be an apparent one, however the period of time we have now heard of muffins going off within the freezer is multiple would anticipate.
The muffins have to be ready in sanitary situations.
You wish to guarantee there’s: no cross-contamination with elements apart from what is required within the recipe, clear gear, and clear storage situations. In any other case, you might need issues with micro organism and mildew when thawing your pound muffins.
If muffins are correctly saved within the freezer, they’ll final anyplace between 2-4 months. Remember the fact that the longer they’re frozen, the extra taste they’ll lose and the extra their structural integrity might be affected.
The most effective time to make use of frozen muffins is round 3-4 weeks after freezing them.
How Do You Freeze Pound Cake Slices?
The method is identical as that above; you simply have a special form to wrap. Wrap every slice tightly and place it right into a freezer-safe storage container to freeze. The identical goes for cupcakes or Bundt muffins.
When Do You Add in Easy Syrup?
Don’t add your easy syrup to pound cake earlier than freezing it. It’s going to trigger ice crystals to kind, which can trigger freezer burn in your cake. To stop this from taking place, somewhat thaw the cake layer after which add lukewarm syrup.
How Do You Defrost Muffins?
Muffins thaw shortly, which makes them excellent to brighten on the day of the celebration or occasion.
They shouldn’t be utterly defrosted, somewhat barely thawed on a plate at room temperature, away from any direct daylight. This makes the layers a lot simpler to work with because it reduces the quantity of crumbs throughout frosting.
Don’t take away the layers of plastic wrap, wax paper, or foil from the cake as moisture will accumulate on the floor on account of condensation. This can trigger your cake to be sticky and almost unimaginable to frost properly.
Can You Defrost or Reheat Muffins within the Oven?
We strongly advise towards attempting to defrost or reheat a cake within the oven – or the microwave for that matter. Quite let the cake defrost within the fridge a day or two earlier than wanted.
In case you will need to have it heat, we have now a information that can assist you reheat cake in order that you don’t lose the moisture or texture of your scrumptious deal with.
Up Subsequent: Chocolate Cake With out Cocoa Powder
Read more: Is bread bad for ducks