The very phrase “whiskey” comes from an outdated Irish neck of the woods, because it’s the Anglicization of uisce beatha – a phrase that means “water of life” that comes from Goidelic – an outdated Irish, Scottish Gaelic, and Manx department of languages. Irish whiskey was as soon as the most well-liked spirit on the earth, however since its decline within the late nineteenth century, there are solely seven distilleries at present working in Eire.
Of these seven distilleries, solely 4 have been round lengthy sufficient to have merchandise sufficiently aged to be in the marketplace right now, and solely one in every of them predates 1975. It’s a rattling disgrace, however we’re glad to see them making a comeback. In reality, it’s persistently been rated the quickest rising spirit on the earth yearly since 1990.
Reading: How to drink irish whiskey
Whiskey is an Irish Invention
Also read: How much caffeine is in a 24 oz coffee
Whiskey was invented in Eire, predating Scotch by over seven hundred years. It’s not fully clear when the primary whiskey was made, however most historians agree it was the work of Irish monks someday round 500 AD. Thank the Lord for these monks, proper?
The Irish monks would have discovered about distilling throughout their travels to the Far East, the place it was typically used to make fragrance. They realized in the event that they used a mash of water and barley and fermented it with yeast, then heated it in a pot nonetheless, they might separate the alcohol to create a miracle drink. They named it Uisce Beatha, often known as The Water of Life, or in another locations around the globe, aqua vitae.
It was first used as a drugs, administered to those that had eaten dangerous meals. They’d additionally use it to wash wounds. Consuming an excessive amount of and coming into an altered state was thought-about holy.
Read more: Make wine from grape juice
For tons of of years Irish whiskey was one of many world’s hottest drinks, and was a lot beloved by well-known figures corresponding to Queen Elizabeth I, who shared hers with Sir Walter Raleigh. Tsar Peter the Nice of Russia liked it, declaring it his favourite. By the late nineteenth century, there have been 160 whiskey distilleries working in Eire.
Sadly, historical past dealt a number of powerful playing cards to Eire’s hand, and Irish whiskey went into decline. Whereas Irish individuals have remained loyal to their heritage drink, the remainder of the world appeared to Scotch and Bourbon and different regional whiskeys to fill the void, leaving us with solely seven distilleries pumping out the entire world’s present Irish whiskey provide.
Listed here are just a few attention-grabbing information about Irish distilleries at present working:
- The Cooley Distillery was transformed from a potato alcohol plant in 1987, and makes Connemara, Michael Collins, and Tyrconnel model whiskeys.
- The Echlinville Distillery makes Dunvilles, and is the primary Northern Irish distillery to earn a distilling license in almost 125 years.
- The New Midleton Distillery was established in 1975, and makes Jamesons, Powers, Paddy, Midleton, Redbreast, and the uncommon Inexperienced Spot.
- Previous Bushmills is the oldest licensed distillery on the earth, having been established in 1784, and is at present owned by Jose Cuervo, of all issues. They make Previous Bushmills, Black Bush, and Bushmill single malts.
- The Teeling Distillery was established in 2015, and was the primary new distillery inbuilt Dublin within the final 125 years.