- 4 quarts (16 cups) peeled, cored, chopped pink ripe tomatoes (about 24 massive tomatoes)
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1½ cups chopped candy pink or inexperienced peppers (about 3 medium peppers)
- 2 sizzling pink peppers, cored, and chopped
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon canning salt
- 1 teaspoon sizzling pepper sauce (e.g., Tabasco®)
- 1/8 to 1¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1¼ cups of (5%) vinegar
Yield: About 4 pint jars
*Warning: Put on plastic or rubber gloves and don’t contact your face whereas dealing with or chopping sizzling peppers. If you don’t put on gloves, wash palms totally with cleaning soap and water earlier than touching your face or eyes.
Reading: How to can bbq sauce
Also read: Chinese eggplant with garlic sauce
Please learn Utilizing Boiling Water Canners earlier than starting. If that is your first time canning, it is strongly recommended that you simply learn Rules of Dwelling Canning.
1. Wash and rinse canning jars; maintain sizzling till prepared to make use of. Put together lids in accordance with producer’s instructions. 2. Mix ready tomatoes, celery, onions, and peppers. Cook dinner till greens are mushy (about half-hour). Puree utilizing a superb sieve, meals mill, meals processor or blender. Cook dinner till combination is decreased to about one half, (about 45 minutes). 3. Tie peppercorns in a cheesecloth bag; add with remaining substances and prepare dinner slowly till combination is the consistency of catsup, about 1½ to 2 hours. As combination thickens, stir continuously to forestall sticking. Take away bag of peppercorns. 4. Fill sizzling sauce into clear, sizzling jars, leaving ½ inch headspace. Take away air bubbles and regulate headspace if wanted. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clear paper towel; apply two-piece steel canning lids. 5. Course of in a boiling water canner in accordance with the suggestions in Desk 1. Let cool, undisturbed, 12 to 24 hours and examine for seals.
Be aware: There are numerous forms of barbecue sauce recipes and the acidity will range amongst recipes. This canning course of is meant for this recipe and process.
Commerce and model names are used just for info. The Cooperative Extension Service, College of Georgia Faculty of Agricultural & Environmental Sciences and Faculty of Household & Client Sciences, and the U.S. Division of Agriculture don’t assure nor warrant revealed requirements on any product talked about; neither does the usage of a commerce or model identify suggest approval of any product to the exclusion of others which can even be appropriate.
This doc was tailored from “So Easy to Preserve”, sixth ed. 2014. Bulletin 989, Cooperative Extension Service, The College of Georgia, Athens. Revised by Elizabeth L. Andress. Ph.D. and Judy A. Harrison, Ph.D., Extension Meals Specialists. Reviewed August 2016.
Also read: Best dipping sauce for fried shrimp