How to arrange cabbage
There are two methods to arrange cabbage, relying on what number of you need it to serve, and the way you need to cook dinner it.
- To serve a small variety of individuals, or for recipes when you could hold the leaves entire, it’s a good suggestion to peel the leaves off individually, taking what you want then placing the remainder of the cabbage again within the fridge, wrapped up. You may then use these leaves entire or shred them as wanted. Relying on how previous the cabbage is, you could not need to use the outer leaves, significantly if they’re bruised, blemished or broken. In the event that they’re no good for inventory they are often composted. The central vein in every leaf is hard, significantly on the outer leaves so you could want to minimize this away too, particularly if you wish to cook dinner the cabbage shortly as this half may be very dense and can take a very long time.
- To serve a much bigger crowd, halve or quarter the cabbage, lay it cut-side down on a board and chop or shred the leaves. For firmer cabbages, such because the purple or white ones, you could want to minimize out the robust a part of the stem or core first.
Finest for: spring inexperienced cabbage, Savoy cabbage
Reading: How to boil cabbage leaves
Put your ready, shredded cabbage in a steamer and steam for round 5 minutes or till tender.
Boiled or blanched
Finest for: every kind
Put the cabbage leaves or shredded cabbage in a big pan and canopy midway with water. Convey to the boil and cook dinner for 3-5 minutes or till tender. To blanch (to allow them to be sautéed or fried later), cowl with water and boil for 3 minutes. Switch the leaves to chilly water to refresh.
Finest for: every kind
Shred the leaves from half a head of cabbage, eradicating any robust leaf stems. Warmth 2 tbsp of vegetable oil in a wok, then add the cabbage and a couple of sliced garlic cloves. Stir-fry till the cabbage begins to wilt then add 75ml vegetable inventory. Cowl and cook dinner for 3 minutes till simply tender.
Finest for: purple cabbage, white cabbage
Also read: What are cd keys steam
Finely slice 1 giant onion and put it and 50g butter, or 50ml olive oil in a heavy-based, flameproof casserole dish. Fry the onion over a medium warmth, stirring incessantly, for about 5 minutes. Minimize the core from a 750g cabbage and finely slice the leaves. Add this to the casserole dish and toss every part collectively, cooking over a low warmth when you peel and slice 1 apple. Crush 1 tsp juniper and 1 tsp caraway seeds collectively, then add these and the apple slices to the pan. Season and pour in 500ml cider, purple wine or water. Stir properly and convey to a simmer, cowl the dish and cook dinner for 20 minutes.
Entire cabbage leaves can be utilized crammed, rolled and baked. Shredded cabbage might be pickled or fermeted to make sauerkraut or kimchi.
Fundamental cabbage stir-fry recipe
- 1 cabbage
- 4 tbsp fats (you would use butter, olive oil or goose fats)
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- Quarter the cabbage, take away the core and shred the leaves.
- Blanch in a pan of boiling salted water for 3 minutes, then maintain beneath a chilly faucet to chill. Drain properly.
- Warmth the fats in a pan and sauté the shallots, rosemary sprig and garlic cloves for five minutes, till golden.
- Discard the garlic and rosemary, toss within the cabbage, stir-frying till reheated. Season and serve.
Our prime cabbage recipes
Cabbage with bacon & onions
Give your greens a little bit of crunch with John Torode’s speedy facet – good for Sunday lunch.
Braised stuffed cabbage
Sluggish-cooked cabbage leaves filled with a tasty rice combination make a hearty veggie principal, or an uncommon facet dish.
Garlicky linguine with cabbage & anchovy
This thrifty pasta dish of Savoy greens and crispy ‘pangrattato’ breadcrumbs is scrumptious in its simplicity.
Pointed cabbage in white wine with fennel seeds
For a fast model of sauerkraut, strive cabbage simmered in white wine, with onion and herbs. The acidity of this facet dish pairs superbly with the unctuousness of roast pork.
Spring cabbage with mustard seeds
Give your greens a contemporary new look by tossing them with mustard, ginger, onion and garlic.
Get extra cabbage inspiration…
Cabbage recipesSavoy cabbage recipesChristmas purple cabbage recipesBubble & squeak recipes
Do you may have any suggestions for cooking cabbage? Go away a remark under…
Read more: How long does it take to boil maple syrup