The most effective issues about menstrual cups is that with the appropriate care, they’ll final you years! And the care that makes certain your cup retains in tip-top situation is similar care that ensures it’s wholesome and secure so that you can use.
One of the simplest ways to care on your cup is to make use of the boiled water technique to sanitize your menstrual cup between cycles (We love the hack of putting your cup in the course of a whisk whereas boiling to maintain it from touching the underside of a pot!) or use Intimate Accent Cleaner.
Reading: How to boil a menstrual cup
However what for those who can’t simply entry boiling scorching water? Possibly you don’t really feel snug watching water boil whereas your cup bobs round in the course of your kitchen. (Roommates—even when/particularly once they’re household—could be awkward like that).
Don’t fear! There are other ways to make sure that your cup is as clear as attainable.
Sanitize vs Clear: What’s the Distinction?
First, let’s get some definitions out of the best way. When folks discuss boiling their menstrual cup, this can be a technique of sanitizing; ‘sanitizing’ means eradicating any microorganisms (like micro organism) all the way down to a secure degree. (‘Sterilizing’ means eradicating all, which is troublesome to do in a house setting.)
Cleansing, then again, means eradicating floor micro organism, odor, and buildup.
We make menstrual cups out of medical-grade silicone for just a few causes, however one of many greatest causes is that as a non-porous materials, it resists micro organism progress. However, many individuals really feel higher about sanitizing their cups between cycles by boiling water, and we advocate it as a result of it helps guarantee your cup lasts so long as attainable.
How to Sanitize Your Menstrual Cup (with out Boiling)
Other than the boiled water technique, it’s also possible to sanitize your menstrual cup by utilizing:
- An autoclave. If you happen to occur to have one kicking round (we don’t advocate utilizing the autoclave at your place of job) then it’s a good way to sanitize your cup. It ought to be set to 121°C for 60 minutes, utilizing a dry cycle run, and in any other case used as per the producer’s directions.
- A breast pump steam bag. These useful instruments are for sanitizing components of breast pump gear in your microwave. They’re straightforward to make use of and declare to kill 99.9 % of frequent micro organism and germs. Examine for any that
- A menstrual cup steam sanitizer. There are a number of steam cleaners in the marketplace particularly for menstrual cups. Be warned, not all machines are made to the identical commonplace, so you’ll want to do your analysis. We are able to’t examine the standard of all such units so we will’t make sure that they’re as thorough as they are saying that they’re, or that they won’t harm your cup.
How to Clear Your Menstrual Cup
Cleansing your cup throughout your cycle is as straightforward as a radical rinse and a few alcohol-free antibacterial cleaning soap! Some folks like to scrub their cup within the bathe because it’s discreet and straightforward to do after emptying their cup. On the opposite finish of the comfort spectrum is the oft-dreaded ‘public washroom clean.’
Also read: 9 w/m.c thermal expansion steam in place
We’ve received your information for cleansing your cup in a public washroom right here!
How to Take away Stains From Your Menstrual Cup
Even with correct sanitizing and cleansing, your cup will bear some color modifications from use. As nicely, chances are you’ll run into staining or odor points. Listed here are methods to take away stains or smells out of your menstrual cup:
- Hydrogen peroxide (1%): You will discover this in most drug shops or pharmacies. Use one half 1% hydrogen peroxide and one half water. Submerge your cup and let it soak for twenty-four hours. Give it an excellent, thorough wash to take away the entire hydrogen peroxide residues earlier than utilizing it or storing it.
- Apple cider vinegar (diluted in water): This is likely to be as efficient as hydrogen peroxide, however likelihood is you could have some round the home! Use 2 Tbsp (30 ml) to 1 cup (250 ml) water. Submerge and soak your cup for twenty-four hours. If it nonetheless smells a bit like vinegar after washing the cup, comply with up with a boiling session.
When to Throw Out Your Cup
Cups aren’t indestructible. Your Intimina menstrual cup is reusable for as much as 10 years (or 2 years for the Ziggy Cup) however chances are you’ll want to exchange it sooner than that.
It’s best to change your menstrual cup if:
- There may be any seen, bodily harm corresponding to cracking or splitting.
- The cup turns into sticky to the contact even after cleansing or has a chalky residue.
- Any smells linger, even after you strive the above suggestions.
- A wierd coloration develops (fading is regular, inexperienced is just not, for instance)
If you happen to’re ever doubtful, simply attain out to our staff through our Fb or Instagram web page, or depart a touch upon this text. We’re at all times completely happy to assist!