These Air Fryer Plantains (Cuban Plátanos Maduros) are an ideal facet dish or snack. Made within the air fryer for a more healthy model with a lot much less energy in comparison with the normal fried plantains. Vegan, gluten-free, paleo and whole30 authorised.
I’ve been attempting baking plantains lately, and so they have turn out to be a favourite snack in our dwelling. They’re simple to make with minimal elements, and the children get pleasure from them.
Reading: How to air fry plantains
Fried Plantains are a well-liked Cuban facet dish. Candy, ripe plantains are sliced after which fried in oil. They’re sooooo good. That mentioned, these deep fried plantains are additionally excessive in energy.
I wished to attempt a more healthy model with cooking them within the air fryer. It takes only a teaspoon of oil for a plantain when air frying or baking, and also you get the identical texture and style.
What are Plantains?
Plantains are a starchy fruit from the banana household. Though they’re extra like a vegetable – much less candy, extra starchier and sometimes eaten cooked. They’re standard within the Latin American, Caribbean and African delicacies.
Inexperienced Plantains are unripe and have a white flesh. These are like a starchy vegetable, and sometimes used as an alternative to potatoes or rice.
Read more: Chinese sauce recipes for stir fry
Because the plantains ripen, they turn out to be yellow after which black. Additionally they sweeten as they ripen. Yellow plantains are agency, and are simply beginning to sweeten.
Plantains will be ready in some ways – steamed, boiled, grilled, fried or baked. They maintain up effectively when cooking in comparison with bananas. The normal approach is to fry them.
To bake or air fry plantains, I search for plantains which can be yellow however turning black. You may also use black peel plantains, which is able to give the sweetest fried plantains.
Why you’ll love these baked plantains..
- Simple to make with minimal prep and in 10 minutes
- More healthy and decrease in energy in comparison with common fried plantains.
- Vegan, Gluten-free, Whole30 and Paleo
- Loved by all – children and adults!
How to cook dinner Plantains within the Air Fryer?
Firstly, you need to be certain that to have ripe plantains. I’ve tried making them when they’re simply yellow, which suggests not as candy, and so they do not style almost nearly as good as when they’re ripe. So simply have persistence and allow them to sit on the counter to ripen (it could take 3-5 days for them to ripen).
Utilizing a shark knife, lower the sides of the plantains. Run the knife by way of the pores and skin of the plantain lengthwise, ensuring to not lower the flesh. Peel the pores and skin and discard. Then slice into ½” thick items diagonally.
If the plantains are agency, then you’ll be able to switch the plantains to a bowl and blend with oil and salt.
Read more: Air fry a pork loin
If the plantains are soft and might get mushy when mixed, you can directly spray oil or lightly grease the bottom of the air fryer basket. Line the plantains in the basket in a single layer. Then spray some oil and sprinkle salt, if using.
Turn on air fryer to 380°F. Cook plantain for 10-12 minutes, flipping over half way through.
That is all. Fried Plantains are ready.
Transfer plantain pieces carefully from air fryer basket to a serving plate. Repeat until all the plantains are cooked.
Pro-tips for Perfect Plantains
- Let the plantains ripen before air frying or baking them. Ripe = naturally sweet! But they can also be stickier and messier, but so much more delicious. Be patient and let them sit on the counter.
- Slice the plantains in roughly the same thickness, so they cook evenly. The cook time will depend on the thickness of the slices.
- Spread the plantains in a single layer, so they cook uniformly. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you might have to cook them in multiple batches.
- Air fryer plantains taste best when served hot. Enjoy as is or serve with a dip.
- You can also make them sweeter to serve with dessert by sprinkling cinnamon and sugar on the top.
Plantains are very versatile…
- You can slice them (the yellow firm ones) super thin, and make plantain chips.
- Toss your favorite seasonings with the plantains before air frying – garlic powder, cayenne, cajun seasoning are some options.
- Squeeze lime juice when serving for a fresh flavor.
Extra air fryer recipes you may get pleasure from:
Read more: Can you air fry crab rangoon
- Air Fryer Kale Chips
- Air Fryer Cauliflower
- Air Fryer Beets
- Air Fryer Asparagus