Oolong teas are largely produced in areas throughout China and Taiwan. There’s all kinds in forms of oolongs; any teas which are semi-oxidized are thought-about oolongs. Some have extra inexperienced tea traits, whereas others have black tea traits relying on oxidation ranges.
As a result of oolongs have a protracted and wealthy historical past on the planet of tea, our directions for find out how to brew oolong teas concentrate on the long-standing custom of Asian brewing practices. For oolong sachets, we advocate a normal 3-minute steeping at 190℉. For free leaf, nonetheless, we encourage you to take a extra ceremonial method by participating in a convention referred to as small pot brewing.
Reading: How long to steep oolong tea
An Introduction to Small Pot Brewing
Also read: Lemon and coffee for weight loss
Oolongs are notably recognized for his or her curled, twisted or rolled leaves. As an alternative of 1, 3-5 minute steeping that we advocate for a lot of free leaf teas, oolongs are sometimes loved over a number of quick steeps for a number of extractions, a observe referred to as small pot brewing or Gong Fu model. This observe is complementary to the rolled leaves of many oolongs as a result of it permits you to watch how the leaves change throughout subsequent extractions, requiring endurance, curiosity and energetic engagement.
Steeped in Custom
Following the ceremonial custom of small pot brewing permits one to find the subtleties in flavors throughout several types of oolongs, exploring the meditative and euphoric qualities of the tea. Small pot brewing is characteristically carried out in a gaiwan or small teapot of roughly 100-150 mL. There isn’t a precise variety of steeps that one ought to adhere to, however usually 4-5 steeps at about 10-20 seconds, including 5-10 seconds on every consecutive steep. It relies on particular person taste desire, high quality of the oolong and form of the leaf. Tightly rolled leaves will stand as much as a number of extractions, whereas leaves which are merely twisted will enable for fewer extractions.
Measuring Tea Leaves for Small Pot Brewing
Earlier than starting this tea service, put together by gathering your tea leaves, a teapot, small tea cups and a tea strainer and small decanter, often known as a good cup. Some teapots have a further strainer inbuilt to the spout to make sure that no massive particles will filter into your cup. Upon getting these parts, measure out the tea leaves in accordance with the rules under. As a normal rule of thumb for brewing oolongs, fill 1/3 of the teapot with tea leaves.
For a 100 ml, we measure:
- Ali Shan Oolong – 1 teaspoon*
- Bai Hao Oolong – 2.5 teaspoons*
- Ti Kwan Yin Oolong – 1 heaping teaspoon*
Also read: Can you drink coffee while pregnant
*Be aware: Fairly than utilizing a precise teaspoon measurement, we used a small commonplace kitchen spoon.
How to Brew Free Leaf Oolong Teas Gong Fu Type
- Carry spring or freshly drawn filtered water to 190℉. And not using a thermometer, this may be achieved by letting boiling water cool for about 2 minutes.
- Place the oolong leaves immediately into your teapot. Confer with our information above to measure your tea leaves.
- Fill the pot with sizzling water, permitting the leaves to sit down for not more than 5 seconds, then discard the water. We check with this primary steeping because the rinse. This can assist to initially unfurl the leaves, which facilitates additional extraction in later steeps.
- As soon as once more, fill the pot with 190℉ water, pouring immediately over the leaves. Wait roughly 10-20 seconds, then pour the tea by means of a strainer into the glass pot. Subsequent, pour tea into the tea cups from the glass pot. This can make sure that every particular person is experiencing the identical taste in every pour.
- Proceed steeps as many occasions as you want, including 5-10 seconds to every. As time passes, look to see the evolution of the leaf and the deepening of the liquor shade. Most significantly take note of the altering taste with every steep. As soon as the power of the tea now not comes by means of, the leaves have been absolutely extracted.
After every subsequent extraction, it is possible for you to to notice the completely different taste profiles between steeps, and the way the flavour develops over time. For extra tightly rolled oolongs, the primary extractions might be tender and light-weight. For oolongs with open leaves that don’t require a wake-up steeping, it is possible for you to to expertise a richer taste in your first sip. From there, the flavour is subjective. Some oolongs could give off a gentle expertise, and a few could have nice selection between steeps.
Issues to Watch
Small pot brewing is essentially the most participating, in-depth technique to perceive oolongs. Whereas the oolong steeps, discover how the form of the leaves modifications and expands; observe how the liquor shade develops from mild to darkish, then again to mild towards the tip of your steeping session; distinguish how the flavour evolves from tender to wealthy, and what occurs within the ultimate steeps.
There isn’t a particular indicator that can signify when the oolong has completed steeping. As a normal rule, the leaves have been absolutely extracted when the power of the tea now not comes by means of. That is completely different for every particular person, and this conventional brewing observe encourages you to be inquisitive all through every step of the method.
Also read: How to make the perfect iced coffee