Easy is greatest, and this Southern fried catfish is not any exception. The simple dinner recipe solely requires a handful of pantry staples, and it is prepared in about 20 minutes. Pair the crispy pan fried fish with basic sides like cornbread, collard greens, coleslaw, or biscuits for an old school supper that everybody on the desk will love!
Reading: How long to pan fry catfish
How to Make Fried Catfish | 1-Minute Video
Pan Fried Catfish
That is seafood at its greatest, y’all! A golden and super-crispy exterior, with a fragile, tender, and flaky inside. Be part of me for a barbeque, will you? Southern pan fried catfish is on the menu!
Do you wish to add extra seafood to your loved ones’s weight-reduction plan (or simply get out of that hen rut)? For these of us who stay in the course of nowhere, it may be difficult to search out tasty, easily-accessible fish. We do not also have a seafood counter at our native grocery retailer, however I do know that I can at all times discover catfish at our native nation market. The straightforward technique of dredging the fish in seasoned cornmeal and pan-frying in shallow butter and oil yields crispy fillets with nice taste – and so they prepare dinner rapidly!
Is catfish good to eat?
Catfish is a well-liked supply of protein that is low in fats and low in energy. In accordance with the Environmental Safety Company, catfish is likely one of the 5 mostly eaten fish which are low in mercury and excessive in Omega-3 fatty acids. Farmed catfish is a sustainable, clear, and protected seafood choice (supply).
Read more: How to fry a porkchop
This can be a fast overview of the easy elements that you will want for a batch of fried catfish. As at all times, particular measurements and full cooking directions are included within the printable recipe field on the backside of the put up.
- Catfish fillets: you will want about 1 pound complete, with every fillet weighing 3-4 ounces.
- Yellow cornmeal: provides a crispy crust to the surface of the fish.
- Seasoned salt: similar to Lawry’s model, which incorporates salt, herbs, and spices so as to add nice taste to the crust rapidly and simply.
- Black pepper and garlic powder: for much more taste within the cornmeal.
- Milk: helps the cornmeal combination adhere to the fish. You need to use buttermilk as an alternative should you favor.
- Vegetable oil and butter: for frying the fish. The oil has a better smoke level, whereas the butter provides nice taste. You may substitute with different gentle oils like canola oil or peanut oil.
How to Fry Catfish
Not solely is catfish simply accessible, however it’s additionally inexpensive and quick-cooking. That signifies that I can put together a seafood feast for my household in about 20 minutes – from begin to end! And sure – frozen catfish (thawed within the fridge in a single day) works superbly for this recipe.
- Mix the dry breading combination in a shallow dish (cornmeal and seasonings).
- Pour milk right into a separate dish.
- Soak the catfish within the milk. Merely dip the fish within the milk to get it moist, after which shake off any extra.
- Dredge the fish within the cornmeal combination and gently coat the fillets on all sides.
- Fry the fish in a scorching forged iron skillet or Dutch oven with oil and butter till crispy and golden brown, about 5-7 minutes per facet.
How lengthy does it take catfish to fry?
The catfish is skinny, so it cooks by means of within the time that it takes the outside to change into a lovely, crispy golden brown. You do not have to burn the outside to be able to end the within, and you do not have to switch the skillet to the oven to complete baking. The fish will take about 5-7 minutes per facet.
How to Inform When Fried Catfish is Completed
You understand that the fish is finished when it turns into opaque and flakes simply with a fork.
How to Maintain the Fish Heat
If you’re cooking your fish in batches and also you wish to maintain it heat whilst you end the remainder of the fillets, don’t cowl the cooked fish with foil or wrap it up. The outside won’t keep crispy should you achieve this.
Read more: How long to air fry frozen burritos
As an alternative, warmth the oven to 200°F. Place a wire rack over a baking sheet. Place the cooked fried fish on the wire rack and place it within the heat oven for as much as half-hour, till you are able to serve the meal.
What to Serve with Fried Catfish
For the right fried catfish dinner, serve the fish with lemon wedges and tartar sauce for dipping, plus any of those simple sides:
- Hush Puppies
- Coleslaw or Vinegar Coleslaw
- Hoe Muffins
- Baked Potato Wedges
- Skillet Cornbread, Bakery-Fashion Corn Muffins, Honey Cornbread, Outdated-Long-established Corn Sticks, Candy Cornbread Muffins
- Creamy Baked Mac and Cheese, Crock Pot Mac and Cheese, Stovetop Shells and Cheese, or No-Boil Simple Mac and Cheese
- Southern Buttermilk Biscuits, Flaky Biscuits, Aunt Bee’s 3-Ingredient Buttermilk Biscuits, Candy Potato Biscuits, Cheese Biscuits, Simple Drop Biscuits
- Pumpkin Bread or Pumpkin Muffins
- 3-Ingredient Bitter Cream Muffins
- Wedge Salad, Basic Caesar Salad, Home Salad with Candied Pecans, or a Inexperienced Salad with Pink Wine French dressing
- Simple Potato Salad
- Arkansas Inexperienced Beans with Bacon or Southern-Fashion Inexperienced Beans
- Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
- Fried Apples or Baked Apple Slices
- Southern Succotash
- Southern Collard Greens
- Fried Okra
- Broccoli and Cheese
- Simple Pasta Salad
- Home made Baked Beans with Bacon
- Charleston Pink Rice
- Okra and Tomatoes
- Southern Squash Casserole
- Cheese Grits
The fried fish is greatest served heat, immediately from the fryer. Leftovers will maintain in an hermetic container within the fridge for about 2 days. If it’s worthwhile to retailer the fried fish longer, you possibly can freeze the leftovers for as much as 1 month. It’s essential to notice, although — this crispy catfish tends to get slightly soggy because it sits within the fridge.
How to Reheat
The oven is the easiest way to reheat your fried catfish to be able to maintain that crispy exterior. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Permit the fish to come back to room temperature on the counter whereas the oven heats. Place the fish fillets on a baking sheet and heat within the oven for 10-Quarter-hour, or simply till heated by means of.
- Cooking only for two? Minimize the elements in half. The remainder of the directions stay the identical.
- Substitute buttermilk for the milk. It would add a wealthy, tangy taste.
- This can be a gentle fish. For those who favor some warmth, you possibly can add a splash of cayenne to the breading, or add scorching sauce to the milk.
- Combine extra herbs and seasonings into the cornmeal breading. Strive thyme, rosemary, chives, or parsley. You would possibly like some paprika or onion powder, Outdated Bay seasoning, lemon pepper seasoning, or Creole or Cajun seasoning.
- Make fried fish sandwiches by serving the fillets on hoagie rolls with lettuce, tomato, and tartar sauce.
- Serve fried catfish tacos by serving the fillets in taco shells or tortillas with contemporary salsa, guacamole and your entire favourite Mexican-inspired toppings!
Suggestions for the Finest Fried Catfish Recipe
- Shake off the surplus milk and cornmeal every time you dredge the fish to just be sure you simply have a lightweight coating on every bit.
- Relying on the dimensions of your skillet, you could have to fry the fish in batches in order that you do not overcrowd the pan. This can maintain the oil at a gentle temperature and can guarantee crispy (reasonably than soggy) fish fillets.
- Serve the fried catfish with lemon wedges and a contemporary parsley garnish for a vivid completion.
- Season the catfish with extra kosher salt and floor black pepper, if desired, whereas the fish remains to be heat.
Extra Fried Seafood Recipes to Strive
- Fried Oysters
- Oven Fried Fish
- Crispy Fried Shrimp
- Fried Fish Sandwiches
This recipe was initially printed in February, 2018. The pictures had been up to date in February, 2022.
Also read: How to fry fish without flour