These grilled chicken thighs are a true culinary masterpiece. Imagine biting into a succulent piece of meat with a crispy, flavorful skin on the outside and tender, juicy goodness on the inside. It’s an explosion of taste that will leave you craving for more. And the best part? This recipe combines the magic of a dry rub and a tangy sauce to create an unbeatable flavor sensation.
Favorite BBQ Chicken Thighs on the Grill
Say hello to your new favorite grilled chicken recipe! We invite you to experience the joy of these juicy BBQ grilled chicken thighs. By incorporating both a dry rub and a BBQ sauce, we have doubled up on the flavor, providing you with an unforgettable taste sensation. Pair these mouthwatering chicken thighs with a foil-packed baked potato or some balsamic grilled Brussels sprouts, and you have yourself a meal to remember.
What Do These Grilled Chicken Thighs Taste Like?
Prepare your taste buds for a delightful combination of smoky, spicy, and sweet flavors. The dry rub infuses the chicken with a smoky and spicy kick, while the choice of BBQ sauce adds a touch of sweetness. It’s a winning combination that will make your taste buds dance with joy. You’re welcome.
How to Grill Chicken Thighs
Follow these simple steps to achieve perfect grilled chicken thighs every single time!
Before you begin, take a moment to blot the chicken thighs with a paper towel. This seemingly insignificant step is the key to achieving that divine crispiness on the outside and tenderness on the inside. By removing excess moisture, you allow the skin to become irresistibly crispy while retaining the juicy goodness within.
We take seasoning seriously, and our dry rub is a testament to that. If you’ve experienced our all-purpose rub for chicken, you know that it’s simply unbeatable. However, if you’re in the mood for something smokier and spicier, give this combination a try:
- Chipotle powder
- Chili powder
- Smoked paprika
- Ground pepper
Grill Chicken Thighs + Sauce
Now that your chicken thighs are fully seasoned, it’s time to fire up the grill and get cooking!
- Preheat your grill to 400ºF.
- Place the chicken thighs skin-side down over direct heat and grill for 4-5 minutes. This will give you that irresistible crispy skin.
- Flip the chicken thighs and continue grilling over direct heat for 4 minutes.
- Flip the chicken thighs one last time, move them over indirect heat, and grill for another 4 minutes.
- At this point, your thighs should be almost done. Apply your favorite BBQ sauce, coating each piece generously. Cook for a few more minutes to allow the sauce to caramelize. Your chicken thighs are perfectly cooked when the internal temperature reaches 165ºF.
So, How Long to Grill Chicken Thighs?
Grilling chicken thighs to perfection typically takes around 15 minutes, or until they reach an internal temperature of 165ºF. Keep in mind that the thickness of the thighs will affect the cooking time, so adjust accordingly. Thicker thighs may require a bit more time on the grill.
Once you’ve achieved grilling greatness, remove the chicken thighs from the grill and allow them to rest on a plate for approximately 10 minutes. This resting period allows the juices to redistribute, resulting in a tender and flavorful bite.
Should I Use a Gas Grill or a Charcoal Grill?
Good news! This grilled chicken thighs recipe works perfectly with both gas and charcoal grills. If precision is your thing, a gas grill allows for more control over the temperature. However, if you’re looking to add some extra smoky flavor, a charcoal grill will do the trick.
How Do You Grill Chicken Thighs Without Drying Them Out?
Finding the right temperature is the key to juicy and flavorful chicken thighs. We recommend grilling them at 400ºF. This temperature is high enough to sear the outside, locking in the juices, while also cooking the inside to perfection.
No BBQ is complete without delicious grilled side dishes. Here are some of our all-time favorite grilled veggies for you to enjoy alongside your chicken thighs:
- Grilled Red Potatoes: Toss some red potatoes in olive oil, spices, and create foil packs for an easy and flavorful side dish.
- Baked Potatoes in Foil: Whether grilled or baked in the oven, we have the perfect recipe to achieve that fluffy, perfectly cooked potato every time.
- Easy Grilled Asparagus: Jump into asparagus season with this easy and delicious grilled asparagus recipe. It’s a 20-minute side dish that will please everyone.
- Balsamic Grilled Brussels Sprouts: Elevate your meal with these tender and flavorful grilled Brussels sprouts. They make the perfect weeknight dinner side or meal-prep option.
- Grilled Corn in Foil: Indulge in the quintessential summer staple with this easy and foolproof recipe for grilled corn on the cob. Enjoy!
What to Do with Leftover BBQ Grilled Chicken Thighs
We hate to see good food go to waste. If you find yourself with leftover chicken thighs, here are a few delicious ideas to repurpose them:
- Make Chicken Salad: Shred the chicken thighs, discard the bones, and use them to create a mouthwatering BBQ chicken salad.
- BBQ Chicken Pizza: Grab a store-bought crust, add your shredded chicken, and create a semi-homemade BBQ chicken pizza that will wow your taste buds.
- BBQ Pulled Chicken: Shred the chicken, mix it with more BBQ sauce, and serve it on a bun for a delectable BBQ pulled chicken sandwich.
If you manage to resist devouring all the chicken thighs in one go, store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will stay fresh and flavorful for up to 3-5 days.
Photos by: The Wooden Skillet
So, there you have it—the ultimate guide to grilling the perfect chicken thighs. We hope you enjoy this mouthwatering recipe and experiment with the exciting flavors it offers. For more delightful recipes like this, visit Takeout Food. Happy grilling!