These Baked Potatoes on the Grill are the perfect baked potatoes you’ll ever have. They’re fluffy, comfortable, and cooked to finish BBQ perfection. The key is within the course of. By seasoning effectively, grilling them in foil, and ending them on direct warmth, these potatoes keep moist on the within, and crispy on the skin.
BBQ Baked Potato
There are a handful of strategies for making BBQ baked potatoes, and I’ve tried all of them. Sadly, they at all times come up quick. One technique entails wrapping the baked potato in foil then grilling scorching. Whereas this does lead to a cooked potato, this technique offers you no BBQ taste in any respect. So why prepare dinner them on the grill within the first place? Different strategies dry out the potatoes, in order that they aren’t fluffy or moist.
To treatment this entire and utter travesty, I’ve created my very own technique for making baked potatoes on the grill! To get the proper BBQ baked potatoes, they’re first wrapped in foil and grilled at 350 levels F for 60 minutes after which cooked unwrapped over direct warmth. With this technique, you get a sluggish rise in temperature, however the foil retains the warmth in to evenly prepare dinner the potatoes. After the primary hour, peel off the foil and put them on the direct warmth to crisp the pores and skin and provides the potato some good BBQ taste. This closing step is essential to get that crispy, crunchy pores and skin that can style nearly as good, if not higher, than the fluffy insides.
Grilled Baked Potatoes in Foil
Also read: Recipe for roast beef sandwich
When grilling baked potatoes, I like to recommend wrapping them in heavy obligation foil earlier than inserting them on the grill. Cooking your grilled baked potatoes in foil helps the potatoes slowly rise in temperature and permits every potato to evenly prepare dinner.
I can’t place sufficient emphasis on utilizing a great heavy obligation foil whereas grilling these potatoes. Heavy obligation foil doesn’t break up or rip whereas wrapping or cooking, so that you don’t run the chance of something seeping out whereas your meals is on the grill. For those who don’t have any heavy obligation foil readily available, you may lay out 2 layers of standard foil to extend the power.
How to Grill Baked Potatoes
I like cooking baked potatoes on the grill. Certain, the oven does the job, however by cooking on the grill over oblique warmth after which ending them scorching and quick, they arrive out tasting higher than ever. Comply with these 5 steps to get completely grilled baked potatoes each time:
- Prep the grill and potatoes. Preheat your grill to 350-400 levels F for two-zone cooking (one facet with oblique warmth, one facet with direct warmth). Rinse and scrub the potatoes to wash them and take away extra dust.
- Wrap the taters. Lay out 1 piece of 18″ heavy obligation aluminum foil for every potato. Drizzle every washed potato with olive oil and season effectively with salt and pepper. Wrap every potato tightly with foil.
- Grill these potatoes! Place the wrapped potatoes on the oblique facet of the grill, shut the lid, and prepare dinner for 1 hour. Rotate the potatoes on the 30-minute mark, in order that the potatoes that had been near the direct warmth get rotated away (and the potatoes that had been farthest from the direct warmth are actually nearer).
- Take away the foil and grill scorching. After grilling for 60 minutes, take away the potatoes from the foil utilizing heat-resistant gloves or tongs. Take care to not burn your self; these taters might be scorching! Place the unwrapped potatoes on the direct facet of the grill and prepare dinner them for 1-2 minutes per facet (4-5 minutes complete).
- Lower, fluff, and serve scorching. Take away your potatoes from the grill. Cut up them open, fluff the insides, and serve along with your alternative of toppings. (Strive my Brisket Chili, it’s scrumptious with potatoes!).
How Lengthy to Grill Baked Potatoes
Also read: Steaks on george foreman grill
It takes roughly 1 hour to totally grill baked potatoes along with your grill temperature set at 450-500 levels F. I like to recommend cooking the potatoes wrapped in heavy obligation foil for the primary 60 minutes, then unwrapping them and inserting them on direct warmth for 4-5 minutes to crisp the pores and skin. Make certain to maintain observe of the inner temperature of your potatoes whereas they’re cooking. Grill temperatures can range, and your potatoes would possibly want rather less or extra time to get to that completely comfortable texture.
Baked Potato Inside Temp
The optimum inside temperature for a baked potato is 210 levels F. Utilizing a dependable meat thermometer, intention in your grilled baked potatoes to succeed in between 205-215 levels F. When your potato is on this candy zone, you may assure it’s evenly cooked all through, and it is going to be fluffy and lightweight. Deliver on the butter and bitter cream!
Extra Potato Recipes
Potatoes are an incredible facet for BBQ. When attempting to resolve what sides to prepare dinner along with your meat, I say go for the potatoes! Check out these different nice potato recipes from Hey Grill Hey:
Also read: How long to cook skirt steak on grill
- Smoked Baked Potatoes
- Grilled Potato Salad
- Smoked Chantilly Potatoes