Grilling is one of the most popular cooking methods for meat enthusiasts. While there are many cuts of meat that can be grilled to perfection, tri tip steak is a favorite among many. Tri tip steak is a tender and flavorful cut of beef that comes from the bottom sirloin. It’s a versatile cut that can be grilled, smoked, or roasted. In this article, we’ll focus on grilling tri tip steak on a gas grill and provide you with some tips and techniques to help you get the best results.
Preparing the Tri Tip Steak
Before you start grilling, you need to prepare the tri tip steak. Here are some steps to follow:
- Remove the steak from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before grilling. This will allow the meat to come to room temperature, ensuring even cooking.
- Trim any excess fat or silver skin from the steak.
- Season the steak with your favorite rub or marinade. You can use a store-bought rub or make your own with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and other herbs and spices.
- Let the steak sit with the seasoning for at least 10 minutes before grilling.
Preparing the Gas Grill
Before you fire up the grill, you need to prepare it for cooking. Here are some steps to follow:
- Clean the grates with a grill brush to remove any debris or food particles.
- Preheat the grill on high heat for 10-15 minutes to ensure that it’s hot enough for grilling.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high or medium before placing the steak on the grill.
Grilling the Tri Tip Steak
Now that the steak is prepared, and the grill is ready, it’s time to start grilling. Here are some tips and techniques to follow:
- Place the steak on the grill, directly over the heat source.
- Sear the steak for 2-3 minutes on each side to create a flavorful crust. Use tongs to flip the steak, not a fork, to prevent the juices from escaping.
- Move the steak to the cooler part of the grill (indirect heat) and close the lid.
- Cook the steak for 10-15 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 130-135┬░F for medium-rare.
- Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature of the steak, inserting it into the thickest part of the meat.
- Remove the steak from the grill and let it rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
Tips for Perfectly Grilled Tri Tip Steak
Here are some additional tips to help you get the perfect grilled tri tip steak every time:
- Don’t overcook the steak. Tri tip steak is a lean cut of meat, and overcooking can result in a dry and tough texture.
- Let the steak rest before slicing. Resting allows the juices to redistribute throughout the meat, resulting in a more tender and juicy steak.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure that the steak is cooked to your desired doneness.
- Slice the steak against the grain to maximize tenderness.
Grilling tri tip steak on a gas grill is a simple and delicious way to prepare this flavorful cut of meat. By following the steps outlined in this article, you’ll be able to grill tri tip steak to perfection every time. Remember to prepare the steak, prepare the grill, and follow the grilling tips and techniques to get the best results. With a little practice, you’ll be grilling tri tip steak like a pro in no time!